Bar Staff

Re: The return of the D&D campaign: This time it's potatoes

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:05 pm

Mantis wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:18 pm
Hmmmm
Wrathbone wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:35 pm
Honestly not sure if that makes me want to increase or decrease the peril. :lol:
:-k :-k :-k
:lol:

Me at the end of the session:

Preview to next week:

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:16 pm

Mantis wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:30 pm
The more perilous this adventure gets the more tempted I am to start pulling cards from the deck of many things.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:03 am

It's fine, just get a big chair and kill the dragon's adopted mother.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:19 am

:lol:

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:42 pm

I'm wondering now whether we missed any really obvious cues that this attack was imminent and whether we could have done anything at all to mitigate it rather than touring Waterdeep visiting Sly's old booty calls.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:53 pm

Mantis wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:42 pm
I'm wondering now whether we missed any really obvious cues that this attack was imminent and whether we could have done anything at all to mitigate it rather than touring Waterdeep visiting Sly's old booty calls.
Well, we knew the anti-dragon defences were failing, but without being able to access the Black Tower I don't think there was anything we could have done to fix it.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:59 pm

Yeah I was thinking more in terms of any real sign that it was about to happen moreso than being able to stop it. I guess the copper dragon did mention that the one in the swamp had been coming and going? You know what we're like when it comes to missing this stuff, like giving the world ending stone to the obviously highly suspicious gnome for instance. :lol:

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:53 pm

There were definitely threads you could have pulled to discover just how imminent it was - I won't spoil where or how yet, as it may still come into play. As for whether it would have been possible to prevent it altogether... probably not. Sometimes even if you see the boulder tumbling down the hill towards you, the best you can do is move out of the way.

EDIT - It's worth mentioning that there were certain pre-requisites which needed to happen before the dragons attacked, and in a couple of cases (through no fault of your own) you inadvertently expedited those conditions. :lol:

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:03 pm

We're just too good at our jobs, goddammit :lol:

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:26 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:53 pm
It's worth mentioning that there were certain pre-requisites which needed to happen before the dragons attacked, and in a couple of cases (through no fault of your own) you inadvertently expedited those conditions. :lol:
That doesn't sound like us at all. :-k

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:21 pm

I've condensed all of the session summaries from the first page into a word document just for posterity. Where they stopped I've added a general bullet point summary from our woes in Luskan to most recent events and with roughly placed adventure headings to separate each section the whole thing comes to a tidy 24,600 words so far. Reading back, we've come one heck of a long way!

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:35 pm

Oh, yeah, we definitely need WB to start those up again!

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:33 pm

I have a notes doc for each session, so one day maybe I’ll write the whole thing up in some form or other. Once the campaign’s over I could make the notes available too if anyone wanted to peek behind the DM screen. :)

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:07 pm

That'll be one hell of a write up, we are going until we hit 20 afterall! -_-

It would be interesting to see the DM notes when we're all done just to see all the prepped threads which we circumvented or were pushed towards etc. if anything just to see if I pick any tips up for next time I DM with friends.

I really want to get a proper campaign going where any subsequent ones with new characters all follow on in the same timeline in the custom world I created so that by the time the players have played a couple, no matter how short they turned out, it would feel like the world had a history and they were really impacting it; for instance previous heroes could be referenced and such if they accomplished significant enough deeds. Unfortunately scheduling is a nightmare so all we've done so far is a few one shots which have all occurred in pretty isolated areas.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:22 am

Once again should be fine for any day this week.
Mantis wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:07 pm
I really want to get a proper campaign going where any subsequent ones with new characters all follow on in the same timeline in the custom world I created so that by the time the players have played a couple, no matter how short they turned out, it would feel like the world had a history and they were really impacting it; for instance previous heroes could be referenced and such if they accomplished significant enough deeds. Unfortunately scheduling is a nightmare so all we've done so far is a few one shots which have all occurred in pretty isolated areas.
If you ever want to test out some material on us, I'd love the chance to be a player for once! :) In fact I was going to suggest that many months from now when we finish this campaign, maybe someone would fancy running a couple of one shots or a mini adventure before we start a new campaign (assuming that's what we want to do). I expect I'd need a few weeks of prep to get ready for a brand new campaign, so it might be a fun palate cleanser.