The return of the D&D campaign: This time it's potatoes

Exciting adventures IRL.
Wrathbone
Local

Re: The return of the D&D campaign: This time it's potatoes

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:45 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:11 pm
I took a spell that although level 3 could potentially shut down at least some of the threat of the types of enemies we're coming up against now (although not dragons unfortunately).
While it has the potential to be a very powerful spell in the right circumstances, I would point out that it has a casting time of 1 minute. ;) So not something that can be easily deployed in combat. You could prepare it as a refuge ahead of some expected combat, though.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:34 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:36 pm
I feel like the reaction of Sage and Charr to watching Slythe showing off his magical abilities is not unlike Michaelangelo's when his five-year-old kid showed him a stick figure he'd drawn :lol:
I'm fairly sure Charr wouldn't have even noticed Slythe casting given our positioning at the time. I think he'll just assume that Truss was simply enjoying the curse being lifted.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:03 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:45 am
Sly Boots wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:11 pm
I took a spell that although level 3 could potentially shut down at least some of the threat of the types of enemies we're coming up against now (although not dragons unfortunately).
While it has the potential to be a very powerful spell in the right circumstances, I would point out that it has a casting time of 1 minute. ;) So not something that can be easily deployed in combat. You could prepare it as a refuge ahead of some expected combat, though.
I didn't notice that :(

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:41 am

Feel free to choose something else instead, though I still think it has strong merit outside of combat. :)

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:12 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:41 am
Feel free to choose something else instead, though I still think it has strong merit outside of combat. :)
That's ok, I'll leave it for now and if I find I'm struggling to make use of it I'll switch it up at the next level-up. To be honest, I find it hard to justify taking an action in combat to cast a spell - it generally feels far more useful to sling a stealthy arrow into the face of whatever foe we're fighting :lol:

I've had that haste spell for a few encounters now and not used it for the reason above... though I'd have definitely used it before if I'd realised it would give Truss a beastly 4 attacks instead of the 3 I'd assumed :shock:

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:19 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:12 am
I've had that haste spell for a few encounters now and not used it for the reason above... though I'd have definitely used it before if I'd realised it would give Truss a beastly 4 attacks instead of the 3 I'd assumed :shock:
I never like stealing any thunder with Truss, but with you casting haste on him it feels more like you're using him as a tool (in a good way :lol: ) rather than him just running amok.

Thinking about it, there's no reason you guys can't issue orders to Truss so you take a more active role in what he does.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:48 pm

He doesn't do much other than stab things though, right? Unless you sent him down one of the barbarian paths that have access to a few other utility things?

It's just nice having at least one meat shield in the group, the easier he makes our lives the better I say.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:57 pm

Yeah, pretty much he just hits things, but he has some variation on how he hits things. Looking at his features now, there are a few things I've been completely neglecting:

Frenzy
While raging, you can choose to frenzy. You can make a single melee weapon attack as a bonus action on each of your turns after this one. When your rage ends, you suffer one level of exhaustion.

Mindless Rage
You can’t be charmed or frightened while raging. (technically he shouldn't have been frightened yesterday.)

Intimidating Presence
You can frighten a creature that you can see within 30 ft. If it can see and hear you, it must succeed on a WIS saving throw (DC 13 or be frightened until the end of your next turn. You can use your action to extend the duration of this effect each turn, unless it moves out of line of sight or more than 60 ft. away from you.

Relentless Rage
If you drop to 0 hit points while you’re raging and don’t die, you can make a DC 10 CON saving throw. If you succeed, you drop to 1 hit point instead.
The DC increase by 5 each time you use this after the first, resetting to 10 after a short or long rest.

Retaliation
When you take damage from a creature that is within 5 feet of you, you can use your reaction to make a melee weapon attack against that creature.

He really is a powerhouse if played properly. In my defence, it's hard to play a PC to their full potential while managing everything else in a combat encounter. ;) I'm happy to keep on sending him in to hit things, but if anyone wants to shout up to give him specific instructions or reminders, please do.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:40 pm

Cool. Things like retaliation would be good to keep in mind, as he's often getting hit by things.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:53 pm

It's the Relentless Rage that surprises me. For reference, Truss's CON saving throw is +10, so unless he is killed outright he literally cannot be knocked unconscious the first time he would drop to 0 between short rests. :shock: And he'd have to drop to 0 twice more for the role to even get close to 50/50. He's basically Homer in that Simpsons episode where he takes up boxing because he has an incredibly thick skull that allows him to take punches until his opponent collapses from exhaustion.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:09 pm

That's good to know going forwards considering how many times he's nearly died from being knocked unconscious so far. :lol:

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:29 pm

Mantis wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:09 pm
That's good to know going forwards considering how many times he's nearly died from being knocked unconscious so far. :lol:
Maybe we could retcon the last few encounters in particular and say he was feeling the effects of his curse ¬_¬

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:20 am

I'm not going to be able to do Thursday this week, but Tuesday or Wednesday should be fine.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:28 am

Either should be fine for me.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:56 am

Wednesday would be preferable though I could make room on Tuesday if needs be.