Trump: Impeach is the new Orange

Exciting adventures IRL.
Animalmother
Local

Re: Trump in the Dump

Post by Animalmother » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:27 pm

Amazing how social media is now taking away his access after the 4 years of fucking insanity they helped propagate, now that he can't retaliate. Cunts.

arqueturus

Post by arqueturus » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:21 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:27 pm
Amazing how social media is now taking away his access after the 4 years of fucking insanity they helped propagate, now that he can't retaliate. Cunts.
I'd kinda agree with that. The prevailing wind has changed direction hasn't it?

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:34 pm

To be honest, I can see Twitter's perspective on this issue. Their service was never designed to be the official mouthpiece of the President of the United States, it's not surprising that their policies weren't suitable, especially when that President did nothing but spout bile and hatred. To ban him would be to close off an official channel of the elected leader of the US Government. Censorship of that nature would be problematic and could be seen as a political choice. That they've wanted to avoid such controversy is, in my opinion, not at all surprising.

What're ridiculous are the circumstances that lead to their policies needing to adapt to such a scenario. In a sensible world, a man like Donald Trump should never have been electable. He should never have used a short-form messaging service as an official government channel. The US President should never have been calling for violence against the political system he was leading.

What needs to happen now is a thorough debate about how their policies adapt to these scenarios in future. I think that needs to involve the incoming administration and other social media services. The likes of Twitter and Facebook have a huge amount of political power now, and I think that needs to be addressed.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:37 pm

They have a thing that gives world leaders way more leeway than a lowly peon. As long as they aren’t out and out asking for violence they get a pass.

It’stealy strange that trump is so big on repealing section 32(? 48? Whatever) because without that they’d have had to ban him years ago.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:28 pm

It's been three days already, feels like it happened three hours ago. I've slept only in two-three hour increments. This has been tremendously stressful. We here in the States are just lucky that these imbeciles didn't have much more of a plan than just 'storm the building' - once they got in, most had no idea what to actually do. It takes weapons to overtake a government. Just standing around in a building doesn't do much. I don't know why they weren't repelled before fully entering, maybe we'll get the true story on this one day, but for now... I gotta say, I'm disturbed to my core. There is a powerful existential movement in my mind, like my subconscious is re-examining every notion I've had, everything I've learned since a boy about democracy and the U.S. system of government. I'm questioning everything to do with these ideas. So many things that are presumed to be immutable are actually these ephemeral notions - we write them down and call them laws, constitutions, whatever, but they are just as likely to melt away into nothing.
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:49 pm

I can't even imagine what that must be like mate. I assume your off the reservist list at stage, no fear of getting told to get your uniform out of the attic do riot duty?

There's some people saying guards inside the building told people where to go and took selfies with them. Now either they were in on it or realised that it was a safer option.

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:42 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:49 pm
I can't even imagine what that must be like mate. I assume your off the reservist list at stage, no fear of getting told to get your uniform out of the attic do riot duty?

There's some people saying guards inside the building told people where to go and took selfies with them. Now either they were in on it or realised that it was a safer option.
I'm 52 years old now, my friend, so if they wanna try to call me back, we're definitely in serious trouble over here!

Good way to reframe some of those reactions. Interesting. It might have been the case - go along with the mob for something relatively harmless (the selfies) versus raising their ire even further. It's not hard to think the worst, though, I have to say. It feels like these Qanon miscreants are infiltrating everywhere. Every time I think, "how could they believe any of this?" I remember Scientology, Jim Jones, et al, and just shake my head.

I've never owned a handgun or rifle, which is hard for some to believe over here when I say that, but I'll be honest and say that the likelihood that I ever purchase one has gone from 0.0% to something slightly above that.
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:02 am

Solitaire wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:28 pm
So many things that are presumed to be immutable are actually these ephemeral notions - we write them down and call them laws, constitutions, whatever, but they are just as likely to melt away into nothing.
Trump and the Republican elected officials have demonstrated that the US constitution is in need of shoring up. Things taken as safeguards, amendment 25 for example (which should in any sane world have identified that Trumpy was most certainly not a very stable genius and was in fact a very stupid and ignorant individual with significant mental illness) need to be strengthened so that no-one can just bring in their own paid mouthpieces to circumvent the rules.

I still cannot fathom how 75 million Americans voted for the prick (writing as someone living in a country run by Boris Edwin Johnson), surely his unfitness for office is obvious to even a casual observer.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:13 am

The whole freedom of speech thing over there is what baffles me. Literally there have been court rulings in the 70s that said even inflammatory hate speech is permitted under the first amendment so long as it doesn't lead to violence.

Why are there so many Americans who seem to think it's okay to say absolutely abhorrent racist and violent things just because they are protected by law? Toxic language and threats will inevitably foster a scenario that will result in violence and death, and only then will law enforcement actually get involved.

Google and Apple have stopped hosting Parler on their app stores because of the enormous amount of anti semitic and racist nonsense being posted on it. Trump supporters were literally calling for Mike Pence to be beheaded for being a traitor. Some of them were calling for Biden to be assassinated on inauguration day.

Now that they've lost their platform they are all crying foul play because their right to freedom of speech has been taken away. Obviously none of them get the fact that it's because they're all spouting opinions which make them utterly deplorable human beings.

The 'cult' of America was always going to breed these kinds of personas, but it's still shocking to see how utterly stupid people are actually capable of being.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:42 pm

Snowy wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:02 am
I still cannot fathom how 75 million Americans voted for the prick (writing as someone living in a country run by Boris Edwin Johnson), surely his unfitness for office is obvious to even a casual observer.
You could spend decades researching all the reasons why people voted for the likes of Trump and Boris Johnson, despite it being self-evident from our perspective that they shouldn't be anywhere near public office, and I'm not certain you'd come to a satisfactory answer. There are loads of factors, of course, but Johnson and Trump both won their first elections not really because they were seen as good candidates but because their opponents - Corbyn and Clinton - were loathed by many. Over here it was the media that spun everyone against Corbyn, but in America I'd say it boiled down to establishment versus anti-establishment. People were poor and angry and Trump rallied them against Crooked Hilary, the pantomime villain. If anyone thinks we, the masses, are too aware or clever these days to be duped by propaganda, rhetoric and impossibly false promises, they're kidding themselves.

As for why so many voted for Trump again after 4 years of insanity, I'm convinced that comes down to two things:

1) People refusing to look past the fantasy that Trump has built around his Cult of Personality.

2) Echo chambers. We all live in our bubbles, and in America outside of major cities there are millions of people who could go hundreds of miles and hear nothing but praise for Trump; people who don't consume the liberal media constantly mocking every fucking stupid thing he does every minute of every day. The fact is a lot of these people will have seen their bottom dollar go up in the last four years, not through any fiscal magic by Trump, but by the basic trends of the global economy. As far as these people are concerned, Trump did great and they've no interest in looking into matters any further.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:12 am

https://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/55615022
Banned off social media and now this, the twat must be turning purple in a tantrumatic fit of epic proportions :lol: :lol:

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:27 am

If you think that's bad you don't want to be Parler right now.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:11 am

This is well worth watching, if only for the part where he compares America to the Riddle of Steel.

Joking aside, if he became eligible to run for president he would win in a landslide, and it could fix some of the larger divisions in the country. And he might actually be good at the job.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:27 pm

He's definitely a lot more eloquent than Trump could ever dream of but there should be a clause that no more actors or TV personalities can become president. Regan and Trump are possibly the 2 worst there has ever been and they simply won because of overwhelming personality.

Boring civil servants who know what the fuck they are doing only need apply!!

eny

Post by eny » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:14 pm

Rossell wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:27 am
If you think that's bad you don't want to be Parler right now.

Apparently the lass behind it is a trans woman too, that'll appease the trumpanzees!

https://twitter.com/donk_enby
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn