Trump: Impeach is the new Orange

Exciting adventures IRL.
Wrathbone
Local

Re: Trump

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:17 am

It’s astounding that armed protesters surrounded ballot counters in Arizona and the president not only failed to condemn or remove them, but outright validated their actions. Isn’t that a direct assault on the democratic process, as in the sort of thing you’d expect to see in a coup?

At what point can they legitimately arrest Trump for attempted treason? That doesn’t seem like an exaggeration anymore.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:33 am

At this point I think I'm going to be surprised if violence doesn't occur as a result of this. Democracy is the foundation on which the United States is built, it's part of the ideology of its people, and Trump is publicly attacking it. I just can't fathom how potentially damaging this could be both in the short and long terms. The Democrats probably can't publicly decry this blatant attack because it will rile up their own supporters. If *both* sides start considering the other the enemy, it's almost inevitable that there'll be rioting, maybe even shooting.

This isn't just the usual "Oh that Donald Trump, what is he like?" rubbish, this is going to kill people.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:13 am

Seven US news networks cut off his maniac rambling speech.

Fair play to them, but it begs the question why haven't they been doing this to him for the entirety of his presidency?

arqueturus

Post by arqueturus » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:44 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:13 am
Seven US news networks cut off his maniac rambling speech.

Fair play to them, but it begs the question why haven't they been doing this to him for the entirety of his presidency?
There does appear to be a certain amount of condemnation and distancing from him form other GOP staff in places now. He's infringing on the democratic process which is a big no no.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:57 am

I wouldn't say he's even infringing it - he's straight up contravening it. He's claiming victory in Michigan where Biden has demonstrably won, which is fundamentally anti-democratic.

Steven Colbert called him out for what his actions amount to: fascism. How any of his party can stand by him now is beyond me.

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:00 am

Don’t worry, Linsey Graham is here to reaffirm your faith in the gop by donating 500k to trumps legal fund.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:42 am

Rats are slowly but surely appearing to be deserting a sinking ship. I'm getting a sense that it's changing, even if trump wins he will be isolated.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:56 am

I don't see how Trump wins now, honestly. Biden 1.1k ahead in Georgie now with not many left to be counted, and he's been steadily reeling in Trump in PA over the past 24 hours, only a matter of time until he overtakes there reading some of the analysis. Apparently it's just the mail-in votes now, which are about 80% Dem, with all the on-site votes, mostly for Trump, were the first to be counted.

And that's assuming Arizona flips back to Trump, which is far from a given. If Biden keeps AZ and picks up Georgia and Nevada, as looks probable, then he wins even without PA.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:25 pm

This is apparently a legitimate exchange that took place in a Philadelphia court where Trump's team is trying to stop ballots from being counted where no Republican observers are there to validate it.
Judge Paul Diamond to the Trump campaign lawyer:

Diamond: Are your observers in the counting room?
Trump campaign: "There's a non zero number of people in the room"
Diamond: "I’m asking you as a member of the bar of this court: are people representing the Donald J Trump for president, representing the plaintiffs, in that room?"

Trump campaign lawyer: "Yes."

Diamond: "I'm sorry, then what's your problem?"
Judge Diamond is... exasperated. He's getting the parties to agree poll watching rules for everyone here and now in the hearing. They're going to take a brief recess to do prepare to do that
The Trump campaign lawyer (surname Marcus, didn't catch his first name), chimes in again: "There's one other dimension to this problem".

Diamond, *loudly exhales: "Length and width? Time and space?
There's a non zero number of people. :lol:

8,000 votes left to count in Georgia with Biden only just over 1,000 ahead. That one will be right down to the wire as the remaining votes include a portion of overseas servicemen who could swing either way between Democrat or Republican.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:07 pm

Biden just took the lead in PA...

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:34 pm

Someone just said the vote total doesn't include ballots sent after the 3rd November and only votes received before. If that's true, job done.

Buckle up people.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:49 pm

No, anything with a post mark up to the 3rd is countable, even if it arrives after that date.

Edit:
A postmark could be particularly important in Pennsylvania after the Supreme Court ruled that ballots received by Friday, Nov. 6 can be counted, so long as they are postmarked by Election Day.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:57 pm

I believe pa segregated anything received after that date pending the supreme Court reviewing whether its acceptable. The bit I'm trying to find out is whether or not those figures are included in the current count. If it isn't, Biden has a lead they can't touch. I hope.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:04 pm

I believe they are included in the current totals, it's just that they're being kept physically separate in case they turn out to be discounted. Though it is within their laws that votes can be counted providing they were postmarked prior to the polls closing, regardless of whether they arrive a few days late. Trump doesn't really have a leg to stand on if they really try to pursue it.

Likewise with the counting observers. His entire platform is heavily peddling the complete lie that Republican observers aren't being allowed in to watch the count, alluding to Democrats cheating behind closed doors. It's utter nonsense, there are Republican representatives observing every count that's going on.

Not a gracious loser.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:14 pm