The 'Look What the Postman Brought Me' Thread - Normal Edition

Exciting adventures IRL.
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: The 'Look What the Postman Brought Me' Thread - Normal Edition

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:44 pm

Rossell wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:14 pm
Figured this might be the best place for the guys of the forum.

What beard trimmers do you use? I'm a beginner to this and really want to trim not shave off everytime.
I've been using a Phillips trimmer since I grew the old face fuzz a few years ago now. It's this model but I think it's discontinued:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-BT5262 ... B00RYSOBH4

I'll probably get a new one at some point as the battery has stopped accepting charge and I have to run it from the shaver power point every time I use it.

One thing I would say is this model, and doubtless others out there, are good in that the shave length is adjustable, but it only goes up to 10mm, which is fairly short. I'd probably go for one now that allows for a longer trim length given the choice.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:49 pm

After years of using clippers every 10 days to bring my beard back down to a thick stubble, I decided recently to buy a normal electric shaver. Just a £50 Phillips one.

I use that every 3 days or so now. So much easier and less mucking about - only takes a few seconds to empty the shavings under a tap each time. Wish I'd done this years ago.

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:17 pm

Bose Soundwear
https://www.fortunajersey.com/images/pr ... Wear_3.jpg

Because a speaker you wear is just what the cool kids use. I dont immediately hate it. The sound quality is surprisingly good for what it is - fine base, fairly detailed mids/highs. Obviously theres massive sound bleed but it's definitely far louder on the user than the surroundings. It's a pretty limited use case thing, I bought it so I can watch TV/listen to podcasts/play Elite etc.. while the missus is sleeping and still hear the postie which I can't with headphones. Bose do say its not for TV watching because its not aptx but I didnt really notice any lag. It works for what I need it to.... or I could have just bought a cheapo doorbell and put the ringer in the room with me which would be the sensible way to go. :-k

PS anyone that paid £300 for this is fucking wanker ;)
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:57 pm

Bought one of them Kindle Oasis thingies used. It is the most comfortable ereader to just hold and use that I've tried. I mean weight distribution was never exactly a massive issue on the Voyage or Paperwhite but it is nicer. Not much else you can say about it really, its an ereader and still has the same gash awful OS of other kindles. Oh yeah, you can listen to Audible books on it but I dont see why anyone would want to do that over using a smartphone. It would be really nice if the bluetooth let you hook up a keyboard and use it as a basic word processor ("written on kindle, read on kindle"?) but nah, just a fairly useless feature if you ask me. Good, vastly overpriced if bought new, ereader.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:04 am

I think you're about the fifth or sixth person on this forum to get that line of headphones. :lol: One of us, gooble-gobble, etc.

They are indeed awesome - I don't know how I'd have got through this year without them, given that I've had to work from home and there's constant noise outside. I was surprised the other week when I took them off to discover there was a pneumatic drill going off outside the house.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:27 am

Haha I don't doubt it on the drill front. I can't hear myself type on the keyboard. I can't hear my family talk. Luckily this one has a speak to chat feature which turns the noise cancelling off when you start talking, very useful.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:12 am

Best headphones I've ever owned for out and about use. Not quite perfect sound balance without EQing the bass a little but the noise cancellation is by far the best I've ever used.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:31 pm

When my XM3s die (and there's no indication that this will be any time soon),I will replace them with the latest model in the range, because they're just that bloody excellent. There's not enough on the new version to warrant an upgrade, but I'm envious of the multi device support.

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:49 pm

When you say multi device, can it play two streams of audio simultaneously? Wasnt keen on the 3s but a headset that did that would be quite appealing!

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:11 pm

I'll give it a try later Alan. I think one overrides the other. Say a zoom call on the laptop interrupts music on your phone etc.

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:05 pm

Ah, I thought that was a thing most headphones do and the 3’s would have already.

Its a bit of a specific use case that would probably be more trouble than it’s worth to add just for me ;)

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:20 pm

Yeah, I was just meaning you can pair more than one source with the 4s via bluetooth, whereas the 3s bizarrely could only be paired with one source at a time. If I wanted to pair them with my tablet, I'd first need to unpair them from my phone. It was a strange omission when the ability to pair with multiple devices has been around for a decade.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:40 pm

Not sure if we're talking about the same thing here, but my 3s are paired with various devices - the problem is that they only auto-connect to whatever they last connected to, and the only way I can get them to connect to a different device is to disable bluetooth on (or turn off) all other paired devices. I've taken to using the 3.5mm cable in some cases to uncomplicate things.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:03 pm

Yeah, the review of the 4s I watched showed that they will connect to multiple devices at once; the example shown was listening to music via a laptop, but when a phone call comes in the phone connects by itself and the music from the laptop stops (it'll only play audio from the most recent source).

I didn't realise that you didn't actually need to unpair the 3s to connect to something new. It's not something I do terribly often to be honest, it's only really my desktop that I need to use them with, and that doesn't have bluetooth so I just use the cable.