Exciting adventures IRL.
Raid
Local

Re: Arty Antics and Similar Stuff

Post by Raid » Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:16 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:17 pm
Tintin! :o
Hah, not intentionally, but I can see it.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:06 am

Day 25: Dangerous

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:12 am

Nice!

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:37 am

I'm just about to throw my hand into all this - my family has offered to spring for an iPad Air, so that I can get Procreate to draw/paint, and GarageBand to continue my menacing of society with whacky electronica downbeats and industrial.

Will you guys be continuing this daily thing? And if so, how do I go about getting the daily prompt? Great ideas, all of you! Inspiring me :)
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:40 am

Never too late to pick up a pen and start learning mate.

These prompts are all part of a community challenge called Inktober. I forget who created it but it runs every October for the month with a different prompt every day. There are tons of alternatives out there that run alongside it in all the different art communities you can find online, I'm sure there are other challenges for other months of the year too in plenty of places. Inktober is probably the most well known one.

This little experiment with it has definitely given me the bug to get back into drawing properly once the challenge is over.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:41 am

-- To be completed at some point --

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:05 am

Rusty wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:41 am
https://inktober.com/rules
And Mantis, thanks for the replies :)

I was an artist in my teen years, did some cool stuff that I hope to scan and share one day. Since the mid-90s I've wanted to get into digital painting, with the idea that I might retire and have something interesting to do, such as creating concept art for video games, etc. Tough field, I know, there's tons of amazing artists out there, but nothing stops me from giving it a try. Hope to join you guys fairly soon, when I have something decent to share!
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:26 am

Yeah, there's an Inktober 52 as well, which is one prompt a week, which I like the idea of. Inktober has been happening since 2016, so there are 8 months worth of daily prompts if you want to go back and use those too. Even without the "official" Inktober stuff, there's no reason you couldn't just use a random word generator.

As for doing it collaboratively, I'm definitely giving myself a break after this month is up, but I like the idea of doing the weekly one. I just don't have the multiple hours I'd need each day to do something I'm really happy with, but having an entire week to come up with an idea and actually do something good with it does appeal.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:38 pm

Day 25: Dangerous

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:06 am

Please, please tell me that's Donald "Trump" Duck.
-- To be completed at some point --

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:34 pm

I mean there's a possibility the button just orders a coke, you can't see where that wire goes. Nobody does big buttons as well as Duck.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:13 pm

I didn't draw anything yesterday; a mixture of just wanting a day off and every idea I came up with for the prompt ("Remove") being too complicated and likely time-consuming to do. Back to it today though.

Day 27: Beast

Lookit, he saved the best part 'til last! Clever little fella.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:19 am

Day 28: Sparkle

She's really happy with her sparkly new collar. Look at that smile!

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:37 pm

Was afforded more time this morning partly thanks to the clocks changing, so attempted something a little more complex than usual.

Day 29: Massive
Northern France; 1947 - German troops guard the P. 3000 Festungspanzer König Gustav as it inches its way toward the coast, ready to shell Allied bases in Southern England.

I've been fascinated by the increasingly ambitious plans for Nazi superweapons in the latter stages of World War II, ever since I read an article on SomethingAwful.com (remember that?) about the "Maus" - a 200 ton tank with a turreted gun capable of destroying any Allied tank while deflecting anything fired back at it. That was a real vehicle, with a prototype that was later captured when thew Soviets advanced. Then there was the Schwerer Gustav, the gigantic 1350 ton rail gun (as in, a gun large enough to require mounting to a super-heavy train) that was deployed on a number of fronts.

But it was the proposals that came after that grab my attention. First there was the "Ratte", a 1000-ton tank which mounted a spare naval turret from the battleship Scharnhorst, and larger versions of the Schwerer Gustav that would have been able to shell London from Calais, not to mention a rocket-powered sub-orbitalsuperbomber that was intended to deliver a nuclear bomb to New York. I think there's plenty of evidence that Hitler became increasingly deranged by the end of the war, but the fact that these projects weren't just presented to him, but supposedly agreed upon despite the monstrous resource requirements that Germany just didn't have, is what sparks the imagination. The above is an amalgamation of a number of these concepts.

Anyway, it's ages since I last put this much effort into perspective, and I'm not sure I've actually ever tried it on a design this complicated. I uploaded this around lunchtime, let it sit for a few hours, then went back with fresher eyes and tried to correct some of the more glaring issues I could see with it (namely the barrel ends, which were far too round for the angle to look right, and one of the back limbs).

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:02 am

Are you aware of Batterie Mirus which was built on nazi-occupied Guernsey Chris? We went there when I was a kid and toured round a lot of the facilities built during the occupation. I picked up a poster about the occupation which was on my bedroom wall for years and the batterie was at the centre of the images.

https://island-fortress.com/2022/10/01/ ... -big-guns/
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=