Ukraine

Exciting adventures IRL.
eny

Re: Ukraine

Post by eny » Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:49 pm

Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:19 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:40 pm
Solitaire wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:37 am
The live newsfeed from RT is absolutely fucking insane. White dudes with both American and British accents talking up putin, trump, the GOP, etc, saying how the poor Russians were brutalized in the Donbass region all these years - I mean, there's just an endless stream of idiotic propaganda that's being spouted out. I don't even know what to say. Let me off this goddam planet.

why the fuck are you watching RT?
Umm, not sure why you're taking such an aggressive tone with me, old boy, but it's common tactics to listen to what the "other side" is saying about issues =;
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:35 pm

I think it's a bit like asking someone why would they watch Fox News, you do it out of curiosity.

Russia is going to be pretty much blanked by the rest of the world for decades to come over this. Putin has utterly fucked his country and I'm hoping once that penny drops with the Russian people he's up put against a wall.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:52 pm

Yeah I agree Animal, win or lose in Ukraine, the public image if it wasn't gone before, is now. Only people doing business will be the ones who can get the goods and run.

Thing is, if the government is overthrown there and a democratic Admin is installed instead (hypothetical). That means an inevitable war with China. They wouldn't like having a democracy on their borders. Looks like I'm going to see two superpowers being warmongering arseholes in my lifetime.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:29 pm

Soli - typed words do not convey tone. I said it in a half humour way - imagine someone saying "why the fuck are you watching RT" with a chorkle.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:32 pm

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:34 pm

Russian saboteurs halted by Ukrainian soldiers
Russian troops have made an audacious attempt to penetrate the heart of the capital by stealing Ukrainian military vehicles and uniforms to pose as friendly units.

Harrowing footage captured the moment the saboteurs' plot unravelled as one of their trucks was brought screeching to a halt in the Obolon district.

The vehicle can be seen veering across the middle of the road while taking fire from Ukrainian forces, including a soldier sheltered next to a white van.

Moments later, another military vehicle can be seen lurching across the road - apparently also under fire - and crashing into another car.

This is beginning to look like a shit show for the Russian army

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:00 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:29 pm
Soli - typed words do not convey tone. I said it in a half humour way - imagine someone saying "why the fuck are you watching RT" with a chorkle.
Gotcha, cheers for that - I'm a bit on edge with all this :cry:
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

eny

Post by eny » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:21 pm

Anonymous is wreaking some righteous shit...they've shut down the Russian Ministry of Defense site, the Gazprom site, they are posting the Ukrainian president's appeal video on municipal sites, and, ironically, the RT site is down too...
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:04 pm

It seems entirely mad that a country with an economy the size of Spain's, ill-trained and equipped, can exact the power they currently have.

I said earlier (heard it here first etc.) I wonder if Putin is ill again. There were rumours 18 months ago or so that he was going to step down because he was ill, I wonder whether this is his last roll of the dice.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:11 pm

Thr Russian army is huge because the cost of building it is so low. Russia gets "hard" currency for all its gas exports from which then converts into roubles and pays its soldiers peanuts. Hence a huge army that costs a fraction to run.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:15 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:11 pm
Thr Russian army is huge because the cost of building it is so low. Russia gets "hard" currency for all its gas exports from which then converts into roubles and pays its soldiers peanuts. Hence a huge army that costs a fraction to run.
And presumably the longer (I read this, unsure it's true) Saudi helps Russia keep gas prices semi-articially inflated, they can continue to pay these sacrificial lambs...

I know pretty much nothing about this. What is the likelihood of them actually failing in this initial endeavour in Ukraine?

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:19 pm

I'd also say poorly educated conscripts with shit equipment don't cost a huge amount.

All would take is some proper intervention and the invasion would just collapse. The Russian's got their arse utterly riped out in Chechnya and didn't fair great in Georgia either, they still won but it wasn't a walkover.
Last edited by Animalmother on Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:23 pm

Animalmother wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:19 pm
I'd also say poorly educated conscripts with shit equipment don't cost a huge amount.
Isn't that what he just said? :lol:

I do feel for some of these Russian soldiers though. I know people will say they could just not fight, but there has to be people in this army, don't want to be in the army, need the pittance for their family etc.

Maybe that's a naive thing to say. Obivously they aren't high up on my list of people I sympathise with though.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:25 pm

Ah think we we're typing at the same time and I didn't realize..