D&D Interlude: The Vault of the Lady Fortune

Exciting adventures IRL.
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: D&D Interlude: The Vault of the Lady Fortune

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:56 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:55 pm
I see what you mean about the big, dark island. :lol: Something suggests going there would be bad news bears.
I dunno, people keep talking about the place where the sun don't shine, so maybe there's something really neat there

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:59 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:55 pm
I see what you mean about the big, dark island. :lol: Something suggests going there would be bad news bears.
Yeah, to be honest, that island plus pretty much all of the centre of the map is probably not going to be a fun trip. :lol:

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:18 pm

Arctiss sure has travelled. I think in your introduction you said he'd come from Konsong, which is literally the other side of the world. Is Dizai the continent you said that Dragonborn originated from? Either way, I probably ought to have taken a few more points in INT to get some better nature/history bonuses - the +1 he has at the moment suggests he's not been that observant while travelling.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:25 pm

Correct, Dizai is the Dragonborn native land where they hold a significant majority of the power in the Tolux Dynasty. It did occur to me that Arctiss had traveled an awful long way, but justifiably so when his cursed blade was originally from the western lands and it had literally been hidden on the opposite side of the world so that nobody would find it.

I imagine he probably didn't pay too much attention during his travels on account of having a devil-sword constantly giving him headaches. :lol:

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:50 pm

"I travelled through the Thousand Isles, but my vision was so blurry that I think it might have just been one big island."

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:32 am

Are we still on for this evening?

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:48 am

All good here.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:52 am

Yep, all good for 8pm.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:05 pm

I'd completely forgotten, but yes, all good here

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:45 pm

It kind of hit me how crazily tired I was half way through that session so my bad if the hastily ad libbed parts stuck out more than normal there. Sleep's been all over the place lately.

Whilst Arctiss and Murrik looted the second office room, Korvak spent 10 minutes identifying the Archmage's spellbook in the general study and discovered the following things;

It functions as an Arcane Grimoire +1 for spellcasting purposes if used as a focus.

It is an unfinished copy of the Archmage's spells and contains the following spells already copied in:
Detect Magic, Identify, Mage Armor, Detect Thoughts, Mirror Image, Misty Step and Counterspell

Korvak was also able to detect traces of abjuration magic on the tome itself which are active and binding the book in some way. The exact nature of the spell cast on it is unknown.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:56 am

Mantis wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:45 pm
It kind of hit me how crazily tired I was half way through that session so my bad if the hastily ad libbed parts stuck out more than normal there. Sleep's been all over the place lately.
Hah, believe me I can empathise. I think this morning is the first time I'd managed to stay asleep beyond 4:30am in two weeks.

It is an unfinished copy of the Archmage's spells and contains the following spells already copied in:
Detect Magic, Identify, Mage Armor, Detect Thoughts, Mirror Image, Misty Step and Counterspell
Well, I suppose when we get to the heist we could double down on our film references, stick some cuffs on Arctiss and the uniformed members of the party can pretend they're taking him to a jail cell, Chewbacca style.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:05 am

Mantis wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:45 pm

Korvak was also able to detect traces of abjuration magic on the tome itself which are active and binding the book in some way. The exact nature of the spell cast on it is unknown.
So presumably I'd need to investigate the abjuration spell to be able to open and use the grimoire? And then am I right in thinking that over time I could copy my spellbook contents into the grimoire to use that instead (I'll have to check the PHB for details, but I seem to recall that's a thing)?

Or... dual spellbooks? :lol:

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:31 am

You can use the grimoire right away if you like. The effects of the currently active spell on the book are unknown though so you're not sure what may trigger them, if indeed there is a trigger at all. Ordinarily the Identify spell would reveal what spells were affecting an item, so that the true nature of this spell didn't become clear implies it is potentially unique, a custom spell or possibly something else entirely.

In terms of copying the spells, you have two choices. Copying your existing spells into the new book or copying the spells out of the grimoire into your current book.

The former option takes 1 hour and 10 gold per spell level. The latter is the standard cost of 2 hours and 50 gold per spell level.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:14 am

Nice, cheers. I'll probably go with copying over to the new grimoire over time as I want that +1 spellcasting bonus, though I need to review which spells I've got in both.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:39 am

Hey, if that spellbook explodes the first time you use it, I'm not taking responsibility for giving it to you. :P

Incidentally, I mentioned last night that Arctiss' cursed sword is named Stryrox. I did that mostly because I've spent the whole game referring to it as "the main sword" or similar when telling Mantis what I'm doing, purely so as not to give the game away to the rest of the party too early, and it's just a bit awkward sounding. I don't think there's any harm in the rest of you knowing the name, but I'm doing it purely out of character for now because Arctiss would still be a little guarded when discussing it.