The Absolute State Of It - It's The UK Politics Thread!

Exciting adventures IRL.
Raid
Local

Re: The Absolute State Of It - It's The UK Politics Thread!

Post by Raid » Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:51 pm

So can anyone spot the problem with the image of Truss' letter replying to Kwarteng's?

Not only does it seem to suggest that the decision was Kwarteng's (he's already contradicted that), but it's signed off as being from Kwasi Kwarteng. Just what in the fuck is wrong with these people? Did they write his letter for him and forget to change the template? Does Liz Truss not know how to write a formal letter?

Edit: Apparently the signing off thing is a standard convention in government and royal letters. My mistake.
Last edited by Raid on Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:54 pm

:lol:

Was politics always so shambolic? I can't tell if it's me being older and being more engaged with it these days, or it is genuinely far, far worse than it ever was. Obviously there have been shitty governments, but this is the first time in my lifetime I can recall the people in charge being so inept at everything they do...

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:04 pm

If politics was ever as bad as this prior to say 2010, it certainly wasn't as public, or at least not to my knowledge. But then this is going to happen with populist politicians; they know how to win over an electorate, but they don't have a sodding clue how to run a country. I don't think they're capable of surrounding themselves with intelligent people that make them look good either, because the moment they disagree with the leader, it's a threat to that leader's popularity and that's all that they have, so out the door they go.

If there's one consolation from Brexit, it's that it's destroying the Tory party almost as much as it's destroying the country - it is *so* divisive, it's so tribal, that to survive, the Tories are doing everything they can to kick out the people from the other camp, and it's draining the ability pool. Liz Truss is an absolute moron as far as career politicians go, and she, seemingly, was the best person they could find for the job. It's either that or the party are just setting each other up to fail. Obviously we can't take much solace in this as they're taking the entire country down with them,

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:49 pm

I read something earlier that went something like... "If a Lib Dem Liz Truss decided back in the day to infiltrate the Tory party and undo it from the inside, how would that look different to today?" :D
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:56 pm

So good ol' Liz has fired her Home Secretary now...or has the tofu-eating wokerati, dare she say, the coalition of chaos, struck again?!

The excuse being given is that she leaked national security secrets to people who shouldn't have them, and I'm not sure whether that's actually worse than the reason everyone assumes she's been fired for.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:04 pm

A vote of no confidence has been issued by a Tory MP too, so it would seem Truss is not long for this office.

I don’t see how they can realistically not call a general election given that we’re likely to have three different PMs in as many months, especially with the scale of the economic disaster they’ve caused. Arbitrarily clinging to power would push our democracy (sorry, oligarchy) to its limits.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:13 pm

It's all getting a bit bonkers now. They are collapsing in on themselves at the worst possible time for the country. Good riddance to Braverman though as she was one of the nastiest pieces of work in the cabinet. She plays down her 'technical infringement of the rules' in her resignation letter and fires quite a big parting shot at the government for not committing to their manifesto pledges.

I loathe Jeremy Hunt but at least him being installed as shadow PM to try and steady the ship seems to be absolutely driving the far-right anti-EU nutjob MPs into a frenzy. One can only hope that they finally break off and destroy the party entirely. Don't think David Cameron quite envisaged this scenario when he thought he could quell the anti-EU brigade with the Brexit vote six years ago.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:35 pm

Christ, the new Home Secretary is Grant Shapps. Have they checked to see if he passes the mirror test and doesn’t lash out in confusion at his own reflection?

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:16 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:35 pm
Christ, the new Home Secretary is Grant Shapps. Have they checked to see if he passes the mirror test and doesn’t lash out in confusion at his own reflection?
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

eny

Post by eny » Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:43 pm

Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:46 am

Oh dear. You fellas got it pretty bad, too, over there across the pond, I see :(
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:06 am

I'm trying to decide if what the UK has been experiencing for the last few years is worse than the US had with Trump. The situation at the moment is utter chaos, and the country is sinking along with the people responsible for causing it.

Apparently there were Tory MPs being physically coerced into voting last night. I'm half expecting a fist fight to break out in the Commons next.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:14 am

Even the typical faithful are at wits end. It's quite something for a senior MP to do a live tv interview and call the entire cabinet talentless.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:48 am

I don't recall ever hearing such a scathing attack on an MP's own party before. I can't exactly say I'm sympathetic because the guy has been a Tory MP for 16 or 17 years, and I oppose almost everything his party have done for 13 of those, but it's refreshing to actually hear someone say it while in a position where he'll face consequences for doing so.

eny

Post by eny » Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:18 pm

Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn