The 'Look What the Postman Brought Me' Thread - Technology Edition

Error 304, turn it on and off again.
Drarok

Re: The 'Look What the Postman Brought Me' Thread - Technology Edition

Post by Drarok » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:46 am

Logitech's software is pretty shite, do they force you to remove different ones - you can't have both installed?! That's totally braindead if so. Not that any of the other manufacturers are much better.

Really not a fan of huge key travel and clackiness either.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:39 am

Logi software is about as bad as them all but logi always having on board storage means you only ever need to use it for initial set up and don’t need anything running in the background. Razer is just the worst, unstable shite and no onboard storage (on anything I’ve used).
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

2Channelwonder

Post by 2Channelwonder » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:14 am

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7859845

Even though this headset's not USB they function so well I made a Xmas gift out of them for a relative, good to sort out something I'd needed to replace for ages. Next stop, 2nd monitor to kick off a new build.

[EDIT] and I knew I couldn't make it third time lucky, have to refund set 3 as it's faulty so will try again at the end of the month to see if it goes back down to Xmas prices.
Last edited by 2Channelwonder on Fri May 07, 2021 2:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:51 pm

Before christmas I bought myself a Roli Seaboard Rise 49 and I've spent a fair bit of time over the last three weeks learning to play.
This is an instrument that I've wanted since they first appeared 7 or 8 years ago. I've always sorta wanted to learn an instrument, but the piano always felt a little mundane and I just didn't have the lung capacity for the saxophone which would have been my other choice. Given my background with computers, a midi controller was my preferred choice, but while this has the same form factor as a traditional piano keyboard, it's what's known as an MPE (Midi Polyphonic Expression) controller meaning you've got far more expression with each note. If piano keys were digital buttons, seaboard keys are analogue sticks.

This dude explains it pretty well:

I don't really have much in the way of musical training, I'm working my way through courses using Melodics teaching myself to play. It's slow going, but I can see real improvement in that time that I'm quite happy with.
Last edited by Raid on Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:23 pm

"This chap" 😂

That's multi-platinum artist and "best keyboardist of all time" (according to a MusicRadar poll), Jordan Rudess to you!
Raid wrote:
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:31 pm

My apologies. Fixed it.

But yeah, I know that's a promotional video, but if someone of that calibre likes it, you can assume that it's probably a good invention.

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:38 pm

If anyone (like me) bought a 502 mouse towards the end of the year, Logitech are offering free mousepads.

https://www.logitechg502offer.com/

No idea if my form was submitted correctly or not but we'll see. Nice little freebie though, especially if you're looking for a mousepad (as I was).

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:49 pm

Got a pair of those Airpods Pro and... yeah, theyre not bad actually.

Generally I hate canalphones. I hate the feeling, I dont like what it does to audio, I dont like that clostrophobic closed ear ambience and Ive never had a pair that feels like they stay secure enough to not alter the bass massivly as I walk/run/tobogan. Its why I havent bought the Pros before now and to be perfectly honest the only reason I bought them was that I have total G.A.S all the time about everything and nothing will cure it. So one - the fit is way better than any others Ive tried (Powerbeats, Sony XM3, Momentums), the weight is nicely distributed, the way they rest like buds really makes me feel more secure with them and as such Ive spun my head about like crazy and I'm real surprised theyve stayed put. Two - sound quality is mostly pretty good with not much overbass though it still has that clostrophobic ambiance, noticably less than others but still annoying. I dont know if I regret getting them or not! I'm certainly much more positive on them than I thought I would be.

None of the eartips give my right ear a perfect seal in their fit test so I guess my right ear is a gaping maw.

One thing thats really impressive is their spacial audio. Its the best simulated 3D sound Ive heard. Not only does it simulate sounds all around you but it calibrates them to your screen so if you look around the screen is always the centre of the sound source. I was trying it on my ipad and I took the bloody things out twice because I was sure the audio was blaring out of the ipad itself and with the missus sleeping through a thin wall that was..... worrying.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:29 pm

I think that when my current wireless 'phones finally pack in I might get a pair of the pros/pro. How's the noise cancellation, especially on the ear that's not sealing fully?
Raid wrote:

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:50 pm

It’s great and I don’t actually notice any difference with the unsealed ear though I feel like the bass is ever so slightly stronger in the left ear but it’s so mild I’m not sure if it’s psychosomatic. The transparency mode is also pretty good. I think I still prefer the peasants AirPods though but most wouldn’t.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:51 pm

Huh. What makes you prefer the non-pro, out of interest?
Raid wrote:

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:37 am

Drarok wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:51 pm
Huh. What makes you prefer the non-pro, out of interest?
Like I said, Ive never been a fan of canalphones and I'm not that partial to closed back headphones either since I much prefer how open back sounds (also, fuck the lack of open back over ear wireless headphones!). I also cant stand the closed headphone walkthump which apparently not everyone can hear but its incredibly annoying. Its like your footsteps reverberate up through your bones and try to escape your ear holes but hit the closed headphone and thump into your eardrum - it happens with full closed headphones and canalphones. Its not just that I walk like an elephant either, even when I tippytoe about I can still hear it just more fairntly. Sitting down on a bus or whatever for example Pros win, for walking which is 90% of my bud wearing the non-pro win. If you dont suffer from the old walkthump pros are probably your best bet.

You know, I dont actually remember the walkthump with the Powerbeats I used to use at the gym. Hmmmm... maybe I just had the music up too loud.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:35 am

My Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones are still going strong and are all I need tbh. Noise cancelling is great, they are comfortable, stay put when running and the sound is top notch.

Alan help me out as I have been racking my brain and come up blank - what is G.A.S?
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:52 am

Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:05 am

Really? Interesting. I was just referring to my flatulence.