Trump: Impeach is the new Orange

Exciting adventures IRL.
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Trump

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:22 pm

I doubt he'll be impeached anytime soon. However if all his misdeeds can be exposed in such a way as to totally scupper his chances of reelection in two years, that's a victory of a kind.

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:38 pm

I’m not interested in impeachment, I just want the dirt to come out!
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:46 pm

Be careful what you wish for. Once you've seen it, you can't un-see it.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:51 pm

So with my limited understanding of American politics, I'm guessing this means that Trump will get nothing significant done over the next two years. The same thing happened with Obama's second term, right?

I can't imagine this will mean anything will happen to Trump himself.

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:19 pm

Nah, I’ll probably get this wrong but he still controls the senate which is where laws and bills are passed. The dems control the house which is a kind of watchdog over the senate and White House. They can investigate and prosecute any shindiggety trump is up to.

They can force his tax return, they can find out about his foreign funding and protect the Muller investigation. In the Kavenaugh fight the republicans held back thousands of documents that weren’t allowed to be reviewed which they wouldn’t have been able to do if the Dems held the house. It also gives them power to undo some of the gerrymandering which greatly favours the republicans right now.

If anyone tells me that’s all completely incorrect I wouldn’t be surprised :lol:

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:30 pm

In that case do you think they'd try to force the publication of his tax returns in the runup to the next presidential election? Do they need a good reason to do that?

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:40 pm

I think they’ll do that right away. I dont believe they need any real reason beyond getting enough votes in the house to move it along. The tax returns can show where he makes money and for example, did he tread lightly with Saudi Arabia because of private business ties.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:45 pm

Pretty good summary of things for those of us not totally au fait with the American political system:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46067264

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:20 pm

Don't forget the ability to Executive Order items of business - something people criticised Obama for but apparently Trump's issued more EOs in the same timespan.
Mighty Horse Rocks The Fat Ass.

The Jackal

Post by The Jackal » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:12 pm

Oh, never mind. Sessions has had his on-file resignation pulled out.

"General Dreedle is out - General Peckem is in."
Mighty Horse Rocks The Fat Ass.

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:29 am

And replaced him with the most anti-Muller guy he could find. Time to kill the Russia investigation before the dems move into the house. This is great TV!

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:49 pm

Alan wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:19 pm
Nah, I’ll probably get this wrong but he still controls the senate which is where laws and bills are passed. The dems control the house which is a kind of watchdog over the senate and White House. They can investigate and prosecute any shindiggety trump is up to.

They can force his tax return, they can find out about his foreign funding and protect the Muller investigation. In the Kavenaugh fight the republicans held back thousands of documents that weren’t allowed to be reviewed which they wouldn’t have been able to do if the Dems held the house. It also gives them power to undo some of the gerrymandering which greatly favours the republicans right now.

If anyone tells me that’s all completely incorrect I wouldn’t be surprised :lol:
Laws start in the Hose of Representatives, you can't just make a law and pass it in the Senate.

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:29 pm

DjchunKfunK wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:49 pm
Alan wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:19 pm

Laws start in the Hose of Representatives, you can't just make a law and pass it in the Senate.
How did I muck that up, the simpsons taught me that 20 years ago :lol:

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:51 am

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:35 am

Trump will most likely win 2020, so get ready of 6 more years of this shit

The House Of Rep is now Democratic and they shoot down probably all of his legislation. The Senate which is now more Republican will approve all of his appointments. The Supreme Court and State Judges will now be very conservative, thus reinforcing the difficulty the Democrats in imposing judicial or voting reform. Anything that goes wrong in the country Trump will point to the Democrats not playing ball and blame them. His base will become more solidified as Trump becomes more entrenched.

How I see it the only 3 things that could stop Trump

- Mueller report is so damning that Pence gets the support from the majority of Republican senators to oust Trump on the condition he will pardon Trump
- A huge recession hits America (and therefore us !) and makes his base turn against him when their economic lot gets even worse
- There is war that goes disastrously wrong

Trump and the Republicans do not care about rules, they just want to win. The problem with the Democrats is that they are approaching taking on Trump with reason debate and the high road while his base (which will swing the election every time) don't care about such things. All they care about his health care and keeping foreigners out.

Ironically if McCain did not stop Trump in abolishing Obamacare, Trump would be less popular today because the millions of idiots who support him need Obamacare. So to say Trump is the luckiest president to take office is a understatement. If the Republicans took the house than Obamacare would be abolished and millions of Americans will lose all health insurance. That would be the trigger of Trump demise, but given Obamacare will now not be scrapped and the health insurance for the poorest intact, Trump supporters will not be economically damaged by this and will continue to support him blindly.

In politics, winning an election can sometimes be counter-intuitive.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4