Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Solitaire

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Post by Solitaire » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:51 pm

Raid wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:20 pm
Yeah, I noticed that the other day too, so I started re-watching season 2 (which I watched probably three years back). It's good, but I still wish Macfarlane had just made a straight sci-fi show rather than shoe-horning in his usual brand of comedy (which I don't find particularly funny). I have no problem with it being light hearted, but it's pretty low-brow; there's an episode where the setup is the crew heading to Bortus' home planet to watch his annual urination ceremony, which is an obvious setup for some bad jokes that maybe would have been funny 40 years ago.

But Strange New Worlds is still better. They actually did a light-hearted episode last week, which was brave for a show that was only 4 episodes old - usually comedy Star Trek episodes (think DS9's baseball episode) rely on well established character traits, but they pulled it off. It's honestly surprising, as one of the two story arcs relies on a well-trodden trope that you wouldn't think Star Trek would ever attempt (my initial reaction was "wait, are they really doing this?!"), but it shows just how good the previous four hours were that I could accept and really enjoy it.
Macfarlane is exactly why I've avoided that series, thinking that I'd hate the humor, and sounds like my instincts were correct. I find him insufferable during interviews so have actively avoided anything to do with him all these years.

SNW episode 5 was quite decent! I enjoyed it despite still not liking the pilot character ;) There was some clever comedy happening with the story arc you've mentioned - I'm thinking specifically, again, of Capt. Pike's interactions, that actor is such a good fit for this series. He's really good at the "inspiring speech from the wise captain" paragraphs that he's had to recite every episode so far. The other story arc was a bit silly, but fun, and the final scene was pretty spectacular, I have to say.
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:54 pm

Solitaire wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:51 pm
Raid wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:20 pm
Yeah, I noticed that the other day too, so I started re-watching season 2 (which I watched probably three years back). It's good, but I still wish Macfarlane had just made a straight sci-fi show rather than shoe-horning in his usual brand of comedy (which I don't find particularly funny). I have no problem with it being light hearted, but it's pretty low-brow; there's an episode where the setup is the crew heading to Bortus' home planet to watch his annual urination ceremony, which is an obvious setup for some bad jokes that maybe would have been funny 40 years ago.

But Strange New Worlds is still better. They actually did a light-hearted episode last week, which was brave for a show that was only 4 episodes old - usually comedy Star Trek episodes (think DS9's baseball episode) rely on well established character traits, but they pulled it off. It's honestly surprising, as one of the two story arcs relies on a well-trodden trope that you wouldn't think Star Trek would ever attempt (my initial reaction was "wait, are they really doing this?!"), but it shows just how good the previous four hours were that I could accept and really enjoy it.
Macfarlane is exactly why I've avoided that series, thinking that I'd hate the humor, and sounds like my instincts were correct. I find him insufferable during interviews so have actively avoided anything to do with him all these years.

SNW episode 5 was quite decent! I enjoyed it despite still not liking the pilot character ;) There was some clever comedy happening with the story arc you've mentioned - I'm thinking specifically, again, of Capt. Pike's interactions, that actor is such a good fit for this series. He's really good at the "inspiring speech from the wise captain" paragraphs that he's had to recite every episode so far. The other story arc was a bit silly, but fun, and the final scene was pretty spectacular, I have to say.
The Orville is actually the reason I went from disliking to liking Macfarlane...

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:01 am

The Orville is 90% Star Trek with only about 10% Macfarlane nonsense thrown in, which is one of the reasons that I a) find it watchable, and b) am disappointed they didn't just make it 100% the former - it's so close to being what I want it to be. It's still a fun sci-fi show that I'd recommend (albeit with the caveat about Macfarlane's style), if maybe a little too familiar in places if you know its inspiration.

I've already seen Captain Pike being held in the same esteem as Kirk and Picard, and while I think it's still a bit early to be saying that, I can't help but find myself not disagreeing.

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:30 pm

Its his face that annoys me, it such a punchable face that it puts me off watching.

We've just finished Night Sky on Prime and we really enjoyed it! Its a bit Lost in its random mythological BS but JK Simmons and Sissy Spacek are so good in it that they just carry the whole series on their shoulders. Their relationship is just so well played by the two of them and so well acted, Spacek being the better of the two, shes so great. Most of the supporting characters are so so and not nearly as well acted or written but they're passable. Oh yeah, the plot is JK and Sissy have a door in the basement of their shed that leads to a viewing room on another planet. They have spent the last 20 or so years just sauntering on down and having a wee look but keeping it a total secret from everyone around them.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:42 pm

Alan wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:30 pm
Its his face that annoys me, it such a punchable face that it puts me off watching.
Pike or Macfarlane?

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:51 pm

Raid wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:42 pm
Alan wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:30 pm
Pike or Macfarlane?
MacFarlane! If Max Headroom was real and more smarmy.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:26 am

Still on the first season of the Orville and am enjoying it but it can be a bit hit and miss. Some of the jokes land very flat and feel crowbared in, other times it takes itself far too seriously and looks stupid. When MacFarlane talks I can only think of Brian from Family Guy. But overall it's enjoyable for someone who doesn't like Star Trek.

Just finished the first half of season 4 of Stranger Things, that was very good. It's very much a horror story now with some pretty gruesome deaths. It also seems to have evolved past some of it's main characters who don't really do much. The bits with Eleven have become a chore and when it focuses on other characters it really shines. I think rest of season starts next month.

ManBearSquid

Post by ManBearSquid » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:17 pm

Godless

So much that I enjoyed about this mini series. Daniels et al were all pretty damn good in their respective gritty western roles and I really enjoyed the character building throughout. Some great tension and a sense of danger, at times.

Then the finale happened.

Fuck. Me.

From gritty western drama to contrived, deus ex machina, bullshit Hollywood, spaghetti western shootouts with such a jarring tonal shift that I spent most of my viewing time thinking to myself "Are you serious?".

It's a shame as I genuinely enjoyed the rest.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:02 pm

The Staircase (Sky)

Very interesting. It enhances the mystery of Kathlyn Peterson's death/murder (?) and delves into the family relationships which was outside the scope of the 2 seasons in the documentary. Quite compelling

7/10
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:23 pm

The Orville: New Horizons

So the first episode of this is a bit of a tonal shift from previous years. I don't know if it's just them doing away with it for this one episode because of the somewhat heavier subject matter*, but I didn't notice a single bit of Macfarlane-style humour. It also looks like a more expensive show now, and I suspect it's one of the reasons they gave it a subtitle rather than just "season 3". They've changed a few notable elements like Issac's costume and the Engineering set (that circular bit of illuminated perspex that was supposedly their warp core is gone in favour of a CGI effect), and there's a new main character.

*On that subject matter:
Spoiler
There's a very blatant discussion of suicide. There's a sci-fi way of bringing a dead crew member back, sure, but this isn't remotely metaphoric otherwise. I reckon they could have done with a content warning at the start, because as much as they're attempting to discourage it, there's a fairly impassioned speech by Dr. Finn at the end that could affect people who've had to deal with the subject.

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:20 pm

Web of Make Believe: Death, Lies and the Internet has today been added to Netflix.

Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:51 pm

Severance (Apple+ TV)

One of the most original science fiction ideas I have come accross. Utterly encapulating. I wish this was a book. It felt like an Isaac Asimov or Philip K Dick story. Simply brilliant and one I will rewatch again with enthusiasm. Worth subbing for a month just to see it. The last 2 episodes was thrilling.

So so clever but such a simple premise. I am surprised no one thought of it before.

10/10

After a ropey start, Apple TV+ is really come out with some gems. Watching Prehistoric Planet and Slow Horses. Quality TV.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:20 pm

I think I'm going to have to put Severance at the top of my list, I hear nothing but positives.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:06 am

I think its getting high ratings because it is quite celebral and original. There is hardly any "action", its not that kind of story. The imagry reminds me of the film 2001 and a modern take on Brazil. The story reminds me of Philip K Dick imagination.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:26 am

Stranger Things 4 Part 1
Its better than the last two series but we werent really that taken by it. Its good enough to keep watching and they nail pretty much everything of the era (even if its kind of too much but thats its thing) but we're pretty lukewarm on the series as a whole. I do enjoy the sploshing and splattering. Their CG is surprisingly good, it feels like they spend more on it than most movies.

Walking Dead S11 part2 (S11e9)
Guilty pleasure, I still kind of enjoy it even though its very much on one of its many low points. The fucking storm troopers, oh fuck off! Theres the most physics defying thing that even stranger things couldnt square away in that somehow they manage to get a rope to retain horizontal tension enough to hold a man without tying it off anywhere and said man had to teleport to get onto the physics defying rope. It wasn't great to say the least, the Gabriel and Maggie bits were about the only good points.

It also does a "6 months from now" leap forward which makes me want to just stop right now :lol: ](*,)