Local

Re: Remand and ReConquer?

Post by Animalmother » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:41 pm

Does it include Red Alert by chance?

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:44 pm

It does. Red Alert has the same treatment that C&C does, you select which game to launch from a little client that pops up when you launch the game.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:14 pm

Ohhh, I'm interested now

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:19 pm

The last RTS I played was Dune 2 :lol:

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:34 am

:shock:

Wow. Seriously?

It would seem you have some catching up to do my friend. Although I take it they're not your cup of tea if you've avoided the genre for so long?

We need to make a list for Sly pronto. Notable and worthy RTS since what? 1992?! :D

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:37 am

Yeah, just not my cup of tea really. I did try a bit of the first C&C but didn't really gel with it.

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:43 am

Damn, missed my chance to gush about Universe At War -_-
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:56 am

I'm sort of with Sly a little bit, the 'base-building/turtling/unit production' style top-down RTS games have never been my absolute favourite game types. I have played and enjoyed them to some extent, but I always could take them or leave them.

I was much more at home with the more tactical Total War style real time strategy, where you're pausing to sort out orders, positioning and movement. Ends up being a sort of turn-based hybrid in effect.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:06 am

Not even Total Annihilation? It's old as balls but still one of the best RTS's ever made.

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:28 am

I never got on with TA. It’s too sterile and without any character. I tried for a long time to like it because I payed for it in an era when games didn’t just land on your pc for next to nothing. C&C on the other hand is just pure character.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:36 pm

TA sorta benefitted from that sterility, given as the story was of two competing armies of emotionless machines, but I know what you mean. C&C just oozes character.

Digital Foundry have done a rundown on the remake, which basically says stuff that we've been talking about here, but it's nice to see critics responding in the same way.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:20 pm

RPS WiT...

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/0 ... on-review/

Is it worthwhile spinning the RTS talk off into another thread?

I think it might be, purely just to read eVoL wax lyrical about the criminally underrated Universe at War. :)

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:21 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:37 am
Yeah, just not my cup of tea really. I did try a bit of the first C&C but didn't really gel with it.
I am in the same camp, RTS games have passed me by despite loving Dune 2 (although I never got over the disappointment that the Fremen could not ride sandworms...). I remember being very excited when getting my first PC to play C&C and it being a huge let-down. It felt like more of a puzzle game than a big ol' war like Dune used to. Warcraft too I didn't like at all, and from there I just bailed on RTS games. I have played some - played TA but found it very bland and lost interest within an hour or so, tried some of the other Red Alert style games and again lost interest almost instantly.

I liked the 40k ones (Dawn of war?), but in true Snowy style never finished any of them.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:49 am

It used to be one of my top genres, one of the few I actually played competitively on ladder modes too. But MOBAs killed it off really, no big developers have wanted to touch it for years. I'm a bit too old and impatient to spend valuable time practicing them now too. StarCraft 2 was pretty good but I cannot be bothered with something so twitchy and focused on clicks per minute.

I think the last truly great RTS that came out was the first Company of Heroes and that was over fifteen years ago!

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:30 am

I forgot how hard as nails the campaign on this game is. I'm sure a lot of it is down to the janky controls and unit responsiveness, but I was playing on hard difficulty and legitimately could not beat half the missions at all. Even medium has been a struggle on certain ones.