Currently Playing

Steam, Deals & More.
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Currently Playing

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:49 am

Yeah, agree, I was very pleasantly surprised by Blacklist, was a welcome return to form for a series that I felt had lost its way a little bit in the previous couple of games.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:44 am

I have been recently replaying the original Bioshock, now in it's 'remastered' form of course. Despite all the grumbling at the time about how shitty it was (the remaster that is) and how it changed this and that and how it continued to be riddled with bugs, I can honestly say I've not noticed any real discernible difference. It looks and plays flawlessly as far as I'm concerned. The only minor hiccup I had was the frame rate inexplicably dropping during the beginning of the Tea Garden section, otherwise it was all butter.

As for the game well I think it still remains eminently playable today despite its age (11 years! Can you believe that?! :shock:). The place is still as wondrous and well realised as it was when it first surfaced all those years ago. It's a disgustingly gorgeous game.

The wheels come off a little more than I remember towards the end and of course that boss fight still remains utter toilet. It's longer than it should be too especially after the Ryan encounter and the world is noticeably emptier afterwards and feels rushed as if it hasn't been lavished with the same level of care and attention to detail as the earlier sections. Repetition sets in quickly towards the end also, endless hacking and the enemy variety becomes tiresome, but none the less I have thoroughly enjoyed my revisit to Rapture which remains to this day one of the finest video game world ever created and more than worthy of your time even in this day and age.

Just that boss fight to wrap up for me then onto new things. It seems too soon for a replay of 2, but I may catch up with the Minerva's Den DLC before a replay of Infinite and its Burial at Sea content which I have yet to play. :)

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:11 pm

God I loved that game, and Infinite to a lesser extent. Still haven't played 2, have had the remastered version sitting waiting for install for ages whilst I'm seduced by newer titles.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:16 pm

Loved Bioshock at the time, never really felt the urge to return to it I must admit. Tbf my tastes have changed a bit and I rarely play FPS games these days. I did buy 2 in a sale a while back, but fairly early on I started to experience crashing problems so I left it.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:04 pm

2 is a better game than the original.

In all honestly I don't think it gets the respect or praise it deserves, probably due to all the needless sequel that nobody wanted patter that was floating about at the time. Jordan Thomas the designer behind the Cradle and Fort Frolic was the creative director on it. You should play it, it's grand!

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:22 pm

Two has better combat, but I don't think it is a better game. The world is less varied and the story isn't that good. I agree that it didn't get the respect it deserved at the time, but I fell the needle on it has swung too far the other way and now it is seen as better than it actually was.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:59 pm

Better game in the sense that it plays better. They are both very similar.

Although I feel one has the more impactful narrative and some undoubtedly excellent moments, it does become a tad meandering and stretched out in places. Whereas 2 arguably has a more consistent story throughout without being overly spectacular. Like I say they are both very similar, it is after all essentially the same themes from different angles.

On reflection I enjoyed both equally, although the inclusion of Minerva's Den may tip the scales in favour of the sequel. The original will always hold a special place in my mind.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:36 pm

The first Bioshock is up there as one of my favourite games, I absolutely love everything about it right up to that Ryan encounter; everything afterwards I can begrudgingly forgive as the first two thirds of the game are so stellar.

Infinite was great too, but I felt like the middle part of the game dragged on a bit too long.

Never actually finished 2, the plot didn't grip me in the same way at all.

ManBearSquid

Post by ManBearSquid » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:55 pm

I really enjoyed the first one and I completed it a couple of times but I've no draw to ever really go back to it. The story was really good and it definitely has amazing moments. Who knows, maybe one day I'll play it again. I totally bounced off the second one, maybe it was a case of playing it at the wrong time but I just couldn't click with it at all. Infinite was pretty decent and interesting enough for me to see it all through, and I agree that it does drag I'm the middle. I also think that it could have benefited from feeling more lived in, they didn't really nail thay aspect much after the introductory sequences.

I recently finished Wolfenstein 2, well except all of the side stuff that I'm not really sure if I can be bothered finishing. Overall, it was pretty mental fun with some great gameplay and cool levels. I didn't really feel as engaged with the story like I was with the first game though, possibly because it's a bit all over the place. I still love BJ and Anya's relationship though, it just seems to really work without being too much of a typical action romance. I still prefer the first, but it's definitely worth a punt.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:18 pm

I bloody hated Infinite, one of the worst FPS I have played imo (except FC2 ofc ;))
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:20 pm

Snowy wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:18 pm
..(except FC2 ofc ;))

ManBearSquid

Post by ManBearSquid » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:18 pm

I bloody hated Infinite, one of the worst FPS I have played imo (except FC2 ofc ;))
It's definitely better than that piece of shit ;)

I'm also gonna stop posting from my phone as the autocorrect typos in my last post hurt my soul.

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:19 pm

I think the problem there is that it masqueraded as an FPS, but really it wasn't one. They would have been better off ditching the combat or minimising it, because it just got in the way of what for the most part was an interesting narrative, even if it mis-stepped a few times. I think the same could be said of the first one too. (Like others, I bounced off 2 pretty quickly).

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:30 pm

I loved Infinite and had a very mixed opinion of the original (loved the atmosphere, didn't think much of the actual gameplay). Maybe I'd have faired better if I'd played it on the PC like I did Infinite and not the 360.

Strudel

Post by Strudel » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:32 am

You can say that about almost every game though :p