Currently Playing

Steam, Deals & More.
Lenny Solidus

Re: Currently Playing

Post by Lenny Solidus » Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:13 pm

Spoiler
Sacred 2 Gold Edition

Watching all the Diablo 4 streams tripped something in my brain I guess. I do feel bad paying so little for something that is clearly fairly beloved - but you just can't pass up that kind of a bargain.

Looks like I will be going with Shadow Warrior.

- Edit

Black screen on launch every single time. Guess not tonight then!
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:10 pm

Went to look at it on Steam and the first review is talking about how bugs make it virtually unplayable... from 2016 though so maybe they fixed it? :?

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:05 am

Yep, of course I totally overlooked said review. I was trying for an hour and it's impossible to get S2 running at all, it just constantly flashes back to desktop from a black screen. Something good did come from it though, it dawned on me that I have never played it - it being Path of Exile
Spoiler
XCOM 2

Holy fuck do I suck at this. :lol:
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

pappaduck

Post by pappaduck » Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:07 pm

Currently totally obsessed with Mechabellum. I've never played an autobattler before but my word is this compulsive, every build seems to have a counter and you rarely feel like your totally out of the game even when you've been steam rolled for the first 3 rounds.

Also helps it gives big Total Annihilation energy and you can build a giant flamethrower mech. I would recommend it but I put like 6 hours into it this weekend so be warned it will eat your time.

I've also just discovered Beyond All Reason which is just an open source Total Annihilation that seems to have a big 8vs8 scene so we'll see how deep this rabbit hole goes.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:25 am

Halo: Infinite

Ian, Alex and I played through this in co-op over the last few weeks. It has, I think, the strongest gameplay of any of the Halo games, a series I used to adore because of how good it felt to play (and lost interest in immediately when Bungie stopped developing), and it's entirely down to the grappling hook. It's not often a series adds a feature that so completely changes how it plays, but that fits so seamlessly into the experience. The grappling hook wouldn't work without the floaty physics that the series had from the start, and because of them you can slingshot yourself around the environments like Spiderman. The ability to pull explosive barrels towards you to use like impromptu grenades is a bonus, but really it's the way you can get yourself rapidly into and out of danger that makes it.

But unfortunately it's a game of two halves. The gameplay is great, but the mission design and the way it tells the story is often terrible. It really does feel half-finished, or at the very least rushed. 95% of the cutscenes in the game could have been radio messages during gameplay. It takes away your control just to show you a closeup of a talking head, and the heads aren't all that nice to listen to. Echo-216, the Pelican pilot, is a dreadful character that the game clearly wants us to feel sympathy for but that only made me roll my eyes. Weapon, the replacement Cortana, has a really chirpy and upbeat delivery, but she is constantly making mistakes and underestimating the difficulty of what she's doing, to the point where she becomes annoying instead of naïve. Escharum, the Brute chieftain, snarls and growls and keeps telling you how you're going to die, and is so one-note a villain that you just have to tune him out. I'm not really sure why the series has focused on the Brutes when the Elites were so much more interesting.

In the end we ended up just automatically skipping all of the cutscenes because they kept ruining the pace of the game, but because I'm fairly invested in the Halo story I watched them on Youtube afterwards. The irritating thing is that there's a half-decent story in there if you're a fan of the rest of the series, but the way it's all delivered is dull and oftentimes annoying. In almost every cutscene, the characters discuss something, then a question is asked that someone doesn't want to answer, and they just move on silently. The game's closing cutscene ends with the UNSC characters sharing their actual names, Echo-216 gives a fairly normal human name, but as AIs in the series choose their own, Weapon proudly proclaims that she's chosen the perfect name. The game then immediately ends without her saying what it is. Do they think that this is a cliff-hanger?

The level design is pretty standard for a Halo game, with sections set in the open landscape of the ringworld, and others set in the confusingly-laid-out Forerunner interiors where every room looks the same. The game requires an objective highlight function because it constantly forces you to search for power cells to open doors - seriously, it must happen 20 times over the course of the game. It's not remotely fun, and only serves to make you backtrack through environments you've just cleared of enemies. It's such a shame as the open environments are great, and I get the feeling they didn't have time to make more of them.

And it's unfinished too. The narrative clearly isn't over, with an ending cutscene that both doesn't make sense - bringing a character whose death was the entire driving force for the antagonists back to life, and an event that's hinted at but never really explained.

Anyway, this has already turned into far more of an essay than I meant it to. tl;dr - fun gameplay, rubbish story delivery.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:46 am

I think I am the lucky one with Halo in that I haven't played any bar a quick foray into the first when it came to PC, so had no investment whatsoever in the story. I tended to be the first to hit 'skip cutscene' :lol:

Chris's review is spot on tbh, so won't go into massive detail except to say:
- Without the grappling hook the game would be minimum 50% less fun. The most enjoyable bit for me was using Chris or Alex as my grapple target, especially when we were scaling cliffs etc, as not only can you shortcut getting there but their movement adds momentum, which allows you to go sling-shotting past them at silly speeds.
- Weapons don't have nearly enough ammo. Picking up a sniper rifle and having four shots in it for example, before you have to find a scarce ammo refill or a different gun. The guns are largely shit too, so finding something enjoyable to swap out with can be a trial
- Love the chatter from the enemies, they came out with some hilarious responses when they killed one or more of us.
- The devs made a fantastic open world but then funnel you into bland corridor shootery for most of the missions. Feels a missed opportunity.

All told we had a lot of fun playing it, but it could and should have been a lot better.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:35 am

I played Infinite when it first came out and was enjoying it for the most part until I got to that boss fight with the brute in the confined area. Took me 20+ frustration filled attempts to beat him. I put several more days in and cleared out bases and rescued marines and completed multiple missions etc. Then the game crashed and when I restarted it had reverted back to that boss fight. Uninstalled in disgust.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:46 am

I think I'm a bit more positive on the arsenal. There are a whopping 22 weapons in this, as well as 4 grenade types, and I feel part of the experience is being forced to pick up something new fairly regularly because of the limited ammo. I spent the majority of the game with the UNSC battle rifle (the three-round burst one with a scope) because it was a good mix between range, accuracy and stopping power (it'll pop a Grunt with one headshot, but it's also great for shooting the Jackals in the hand to stagger them and then popping their heads as they flinch from behind the shield), but my second weapon changed quite frequently. The only weapons I really wanted to have more ammo are the melee ones, the energy sword and gravity hammer (which remains one of the most outrageously entertaining weapons from any FPS) as they can't be recharged without one of the extremely rare Power ammo stores.
Animalmother wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:35 am
I played Infinite when it first came out and was enjoying it for the most part until I got to that boss fight with the brute in the confined area. Took me 20+ frustration filled attempts to beat him. I put several more days in and cleared out bases and rescued marines and completed multiple missions etc. Then the game crashed and when I restarted it had reverted back to that boss fight. Uninstalled in disgust.
The Bassus fight was where my enthusiasm for the single-player died too. My knowing it was coming and making sure we prepared for it beforehand let us finish it on the first attempt in co-op, but honestly the whole game becomes too easy when you can just respawn on your teammate if they manage to get far enough from any enemies. I did actually say I'd like to try it on the hardest difficulty, but unless they restrict respawning further, the game's just not going to provide a real challenge. On the other hand I had more fun because it meant I could employ stupid tactics, usually involving getting too close and bopping enemies on the nose with my rifle butt, so swings and roundabouts.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:22 pm

I played Infinite on the hardest difficulty and it was awful. The bosses become huge bullet sponges and the entire encounter feels like one laborious slog.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:26 pm

The bosses were probably the weakest part of the gameplay. I think maybe one of them was fun, and that was the very first one that you fight before getting on the first lift to the surface who was difficult solo but didn't outstay his welcome. There were fights in the co-op game where I was genuinely bored by the halfway point, because it just becomes a rinse-repeat back and forth between emptying your ammo into them and then jogging back to the refill station.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:11 am

One thing I really appreciated about Halo 3 was you could dispose of some of the mini bosses in seconds if you had the right gear. Brute commanders and Hunters could be spattered across the wall if you managed to grab a grav hammer, otherwise they'd just soak up all your ammo.

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:39 pm

XDefiant
So this is actually a really good CoD with a dash of Overwatch. It feels and plays great the only major negative is the sfx lack oomph. The menu UI is also bad but they will hopefully tweak that by launch. I have some interest though I’m sure they can murder it with monetisation.

Shadow Tactics Aikos Choice
Finally getting round to this and it’s great. Playing on deck and it’s quite perfect for it. Only finished the first level but the feeling when a set of queued actions execute perfectly with a pixel to spare before being caught is just magic!

I never did finish Desperados because I started on Xbox then sold my consoles but I should really get back into that next. Also looking forward to the pirate one they’re doing next!
Last edited by Alan on Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:51 pm

Alan wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:39 pm
XDefiant
So this is actually a really good CoD with a dash of Overwatch. It feels and plays great the only major negative is the sfx lack oomph. The menu UI is also bad but they will hopefully tweak that by launch. I have some interest though I’m sure they can murder it with monetisation.

Shadow Tactics Akios Choice
Finally getting round to this and it’s great. Playing on deck and it’s quite perfect for it. Only finished the first level but the feeling when a set of queued actions execute perfectly with a pixel to spare before being caught is just magic!

I never did finish Desperados because I started on Xbox then sold my consoles but I should really get back into that next. Also looking forward to the pirate one they’re doing next!
Have you seen there's a demo of it in the current Next Fest on Steam? It's pretty good, going to have a video on it going up in a few days!

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:59 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:51 pm
Alan wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:39 pm
XDefiant

Shadow Tactics Akios Choice

Have you seen there's a demo of it in the current Next Fest on Steam? It's pretty good, going to have a video on it going up in a few days!
I noticed but its something I know I'll want so I'd rather go in fresh plus I have a bajillion other things to play, demos seem like a poor use of time. ;) They sure are hitting all the great settings; ninjas, cowboys and pirates! Whats next, a proper Commandos 3? :-k

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:05 pm

I finished Shadow Tactics Akios Choice and its great and a wee bit bitterweet at the end which was handled well. There was one big negative...
Spoiler
I let her live. Then I had to reload and kill her top see what happens... which was nothing different. I then reloaded again, killed her and dragged her body down the mountain and dumped her head on the camp fire. Nobody mentioned a thing, they all just had their heartfelt moments as an old lady is slowly barbequed in front of them.