The H.P. Lovecraft Reading Club

For your eyes and ears.
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: The H.P. Lovecraft Reading Club

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:25 am

Maturin wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:52 am
Sorry, I'm thoroughly embedded within my Tolkien odyssey right now - and I don't like to switch books/authors halfway through, otherwise I'd probably join in a bit more.

I'm sure Mantis/Snowy will report back in at some point.
Yeah, as Doug said the stories have been pretty short, generally about a 15-minute read so far. The last one was the longest at about double that, although I took my time a little bit and reread some of the passages.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:26 pm

Just quoting this to make sure it doesn't get lost on the previous page:
Stormbringer wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:47 am
Very well! This weekend's reading will be The Rats in the Walls

You may read it here
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:20 pm

I'm back in the land of the living this weekend, so I'll endeavour to get up to speed with both that I'm behind on.

Snowy
Local

Re: The H.P. Lovecraft Appreciation Society

Post by Snowy » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:58 pm

Stormbringer wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:33 pm
Hopefully Snowy will catch up with us. ¬_¬
Hi all, sorry things are really manic at the moment - my general lack of activity on here is pretty indicative. Lots going on irl including some pretty heavy stuff, carry on without me (I am following the thread still in fits and starts) and I will hop back in just as soon as I am able.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:02 pm

Sorry to hear you've got stuff going on Snowy mate, hope you're keeping ok.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:12 pm

*Gets to the part about the narrator's cat's name*

Whaaat? Ah, come on HP... -_-

Gibby

Post by Gibby » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:21 pm

Guy Gibson's dog was called something similar. Times sure have changed (for the better, obviously!).

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:31 pm

That cat's name is actually the mildest racial slur in all of HPL's writings.
The hissing of rats

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:16 pm

So did anyone manage to finish The Rats in the Walls? ¬_¬
The hissing of rats

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:23 pm

Yep, all done :)

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:25 pm

Excellent. I'm going to let you post your thoughts first this time so I don't carpet-bomb the thread with my own as before and leave you with nothing to add.

I'll probably comment on everyone else's ideas and opinions afterwards.
The hissing of rats

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:51 pm

Do you want to post some initial thoughts then ask questions as before? I'm not sure if I have anything terribly insightful to say...

Gibby

Post by Gibby » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:54 pm

I read it, but I may not get chance to share my thoughts until tomorrow.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:40 pm

Okay, I will do my usual thing and you can add to it. ;)
The hissing of rats

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:49 pm

Spoiler
This was, I believe, my second HPL story. It scared the crap out of me when I was 21!

This time through I looked up Wikipedia at least a dozen times to research all the references to various historical characters, places and objects that are mentioned in the tale.

There seems to be a lot of the same vibes that were covered in The Lurking Fear; i.e. a noble family with a crumbling estate concealing questionable activities taking place beneath the ground, including abduction, murder and mass cannibalism. The house even gets blown up at the end! Nothing like a good explosion to put an end to eldritch evil!

However, it takes on a far, far more sinister dimension than the previous story, as this is not merely humanity regressing into ape-like monstrosities due to the lack of exposure or influence of ENGLISH COLONIALISM (the only bastion against the universe falling into total chaos!) but instead the outworkings of a sinister, hidden cult concealed within the very heart of English civilisation! A cult which not only worshiped strange (and most importantly, FOREIGN gods) but systematically farmed humans for meat, perhaps as a part of their religious ceremonies. What's important to note is that the cult was not invented by the De La Poer family, nor is there anything inherently wrong with the De La Poer family, biologically speaking, before they take up residence at Exham Priory in the 13th century. After that, it's a different story.

This is the first time that Lovecraft brings the being known as Nyarlathotep into a proper prose tale. Nyarlathotep has a slightly bizarre introduction in a prose-poem which we may cover at a later date. The mention of his name firmly anchors this story into the wider "Cthuhlu Mythos", which is a bit of a misnomer, really. Cthulhu, a character we will deal with in due course, is quite important in the grand scheme of things, but he is by no means the mastermind behind it all. That is firmly Nyarlathotep's role. There is only the briefest and vaguest mention of his name here, and virtually nothing is said other than a cryptic phrase about being a "mad faceless god" who "howls" and dwells in great abyssal depths. At this stage, it really is not clear who he is or what he does, though I have a theory as to why he belongs in this story, which I will touch on later.

Fun facts:

1. "Nigger-man" was the name of Lovecraft's own boyhood black cat.

2. When the narrator begins speaking in different languages at the end, gradually descending down the centuries, at one point he begins speaking in Gaelic instead of Cymric, as he said earlier that the local inhabitants were. He borrowed the Gaelic quotes straight out of a novel called The Sin Eater by Scottish author William Sharp. He didn't think anyone would notice or care. Somebody did, though! It was all-things-Irish-enthusiast, fellow pulp writer (and fellow racist) ROBERT E. HOWARD, who would go on to write the Conan the Barbarian tales. REH wrote a letter to the publisher complaining about this inappropriate use of Gaelic and it started a long-lasting literary friendship between HPL and REH which would continue for six years until REH's suicide.

3. The De La Poer's Virginia home is called 'Carfax' -- this is the name of the Abbey where Dracula lives during his temporary stay in England in Bram Stoker's 1897 novel.

4. The title 'The Rats in the Walls' may come from a quote from Edgar Allan Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher. Knowing HPL, this is highly probable.

5. Most modern audio book versions of this story change the cat's name to something else so it doesn't have to be read out loud by a modern voice actor to a modern audience. "Black Tom" is one such example.

Questions:

1. Why do you think the narrator hears the rats? Why are they leading him downwards?

2. What do his nightly dreams signify?

3. What happens to the narrator at the end and why?

4. Why is his own cat found tearing at the narrator's throat?

5. Did you find this one scary?
The hissing of rats