General Film News

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Animalmother
Local

Re: General Film News

Post by Animalmother » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:34 pm

It's a pain in the tits alright but at least it's only March and not November of 2024.

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:44 pm

Dang. I'm keeping myself alive, at no small cost, in order to watch Part II :P
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

eny

Post by eny » Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:18 pm

Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:13 pm

Solitaire wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:44 pm
Delay the fucker by another 30-40 years at least then ;)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:25 pm

Solitaire wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:44 pm
Same, I waited over half a century for the first bugger. Damned if I'll miss the second.:)
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:15 pm

I don't know about you chaps, but this for me is the definitive Jim Cameron movie after Aliens. So very excited to see it in this new format.
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:32 pm

Praying for a home release that hasn't been shat on like Terminator 2. And Aliens, then I can die happy.
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:36 pm

Considering that people who've never seen The Abyss are probably a sizable portion of the intended audience given the film's age (I'm one of them), that trailer looks like it spoils a whole load of it.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:13 pm

Hatredsheart wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:32 pm
Praying for a home release that hasn't been shat on like Terminator 2. And Aliens, then I can die happy.
James Cameron wasn’t involved at all with the horrific T2 4k transfer, but he is heavily involved with the Abyss and Titanic 4k transfers (and True Lies, if you believe internet rumours that started years ago). I fully expect it to be the real deal.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:51 pm

The Abyss is one of those films that I keep trying to watch in the belief it should be something I enjoy, and each time I end up bored shitless :lol:

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:26 am

Raid wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:36 pm
Considering that people who've never seen The Abyss are probably a sizable portion of the intended audience given the film's age (I'm one of them), that trailer looks like it spoils a whole load of it.
Yup, I planned to rewatch this (now doubly so if there's a 4K version) and I wondered why they put so much of the 'aliens' in it. Most of the film is the human conflict in a confined space.
-- To be completed at some point --

Lenny Solidus

Post by Lenny Solidus » Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:52 am

So The Marvels (previously Captain Marvel 2) is looking like being an astronomically low point for the MCU taking in less than a $50 million opener and with an almost 40% drop its second day, with big new releases next weekend it could even drop 60 or even 70% which means it's officially done before it even properly latched on to the teat. It will be on Disney+ by the end of January would be my guess.

And to think we were here only a few short years ago...
Spoiler

MCU movies were once an esteemed event like nothing else in cinematic history, they literally had no equal. However, Disney being Disney had to go and squander it all when they made Disney+ and along with some help from the also flailing DCEU both served in completely saturating the market with lower and lower grade bumf to the point the once unmatched superhero fanbase has now all but almost completely eroded...

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/bob ... ccounter=1

Silly Bob.

- Addition:

Oh yes. The shoehorned in Thanos ties Disney attempted in the final trailers upon realising just how low presales were for the Marvels movie have not gone over all too well either. Not wishing to sound like I'm boarding the hate train for this movie something just has to give at Disney, the MCU needs a complete reset if it wants any hope of survival, whether that be management their approach or finally just slowing down the pace of releases which served to add both quality and anticipation levels.

Buy the rights and finally make the fucking Spawn movie Marvel - because Todd reminding us it's a thing every five years is getting rather old and so am I!
Building the future, and keeping the past alive - are one and the same thing.

Drarok

Post by Drarok » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:06 am

Lenny Solidus wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:52 am
And to think we were here only a few short years ago...
Spoiler
Jesus christ what a sack of baying monkeys.
Raid wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:24 pm
And that's the story of why I'm not allowed near pregnant women for the next few weeks.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:16 am

What I find really sad about the situation with The Marvels is that Brie Larson is probably going to be unfairly targeted again. I really liked Captain Marvel and thought she did a decent job with it, but certain scummy corners of the internet decided to decry her as some terrible actress who was somehow miserable on screen and ungrateful for her role in the MCU. And those corners shouted loud enough to make THAT the whole narrative around the film and her character. It doesn't matter how good The Marvels is - superhero movie fatigue is abundant, interest for it couldn't be much lower and for whatever reason lots of people hate Brie Larson.

I think the only solution for the MCU is to stop for a couple of years. Give everyone a breather, then come back with something worthwhile. One or two films a year at most, scale back on the TV shows. That was the quantity/quality balance that worked for a decade.

Won't happen though, because the Disney+ subs train is choo-chooing towards disaster and they need to keep laying down the tracks with new content, good or bad.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:18 am

Why was the Terminator 2 4K so bad, I've forgotten the story on that one? Was it like Predator where everyone looked like they had a layer of grease on them?