General Film News

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Raid
Local

Re: General Film News

Post by Raid » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:30 am

Given how good the first one was, I'd give it the benefit of the doubt if I thought the musical aspects were an issue, but for me they're not. I don't think it's particularly unusual for characters portrayed with severe mental illnesses to imagine themselves singing and dancing, it's probably been done sufficiently for it to be a trope by now. My only real issue with the trailer is that Harleen Quinzel is usually depicted as a psychologist that works with Joker, whereas here she certainly looks to be a patient, and I feel starting her off with the same level of psychological issues might make for a less interesting, albeit probably less disturbing character arc.

The most unexpected thing though is that Steve Coogan has been cast in it. I have no issue with it as I think he's a good actor, but this is hardly his usual genre. :P

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:50 am

Now I'm imagining The Joker being completely exasperated and left speechless by Alan Partridge :lol:

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:14 am

"So really what I'm trying to say is that getting you back on the right path is an awful lot like reassembling a Corby trouser press..."

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:53 am

And the latest threat of a classic film reboot is....

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... iam-neeson

It can fuck right off.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:12 pm

I'd put money on the notion that The Naked Gun needs a remake will be funnier than any joke they write for said remake.

The Naked Gun is one the finest comedy films ever made, and it's unbelievable arrogance on behalf of a studio to think that any new version could come close.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:15 pm

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:30 pm

To be honest, I can actually see Liam Neeson suiting the role. Nielson was a serious actor that happened to be able to do deadpan perfectly. Neeson would just have to prove he could do it too. But it's the script that would be the issue; The Naked Gun and Police Squad had some of the tightest comic scriptwriting I've ever heard performed, to the point where Police Squad was cancelled because there were too many jokes in it and audiences couldn't keep up. The only comedy scripts I can think of that come close were by in films from Edgar Wright. I've seen that recent Chip N' Dale film; it's... adequate at best. I have zero faith they can approach The Naked Gun.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:35 pm

Raid wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:30 pm
To be honest, I can actually see Liam Neeson suiting the role.
I agree, I just couldn't resist an excuse to post that scene. :lol:

I would love them to prove us wrong and produce a genuinely funny film, but I can't see it happening.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:53 pm

It would be nice for one of these remake projects to actually produce a film that was superior to the original. I'm really struggling trying to think of a single one that worked.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:05 pm

Raid wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:53 pm
It would be nice for one of these remake projects to actually produce a film that was superior to the original. I'm really struggling trying to think of a single one that worked.
The only ones I can think of are 80's horror like The Thing and The Fly.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:44 pm

Those are solid shouts I suppose, although I did watch the Kurt Russell The Thing for the first time last year and really didn't think much of it (beyond the incredible practical effects anyway), and I don't think I even realised The Fly was a remake. I forget sometimes that remakes aren't really a new phenomenon, it's just that we've only recently been saturated with them.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:01 pm

Definitely not toned down in any way :lol: