Raid
Local

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Post by Raid » Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:42 pm

Sly Boots wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:35 pm
Animalmother wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:27 pm
Have either of those ass clowns worked since the end of GoT, I mean the 2 show creators?
Weren't they involved in the most recent Star Wars films?
They were supposed to be, the rumour is that season 8 of GoT was so rushed because they needed to wrap it up to start with Disney. It fell through eventually.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:18 am

Detectorists
Very charming comedy about a metal detecting club. The main characters Andy and Lance wander around fields with their metal detectors in the hope of finding something historically significant and generally talking bollocks. There's a rival club that they trade hilariously childish insults with whenever they bump into each other. Lovely shots of nature and the countryside round off the charm.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:38 am

Animalmother wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:18 am
Detectorists
Very charming comedy about a metal detecting club. The main characters Andy and Lance wander around fields with their metal detectors in the hope of finding something historically significant and generally talking bollocks. There's a rival club that they trade hilariously childish insults with whenever they bump into each other. Lovely shots of nature and the countryside round off the charm.
Yeah, have been watching this also, very pleasant way to spend half an hour.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:39 pm

Fubar
It’s fucking terrible.

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
It’s fucking marvelous.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:59 pm

Ahsoka

To say I've been excited for this would be an understatement. I loved the Rebels animated show, and as soon as the first trailer revealed it was going to be a continuation of the story from that series (which Filoni has apparently wanted to do for years), I've been almost giddy. And the first episode (I'm leaving the second until Friday) really didn't disappoint. Seeing Lothal rendered in live-action, with all of the locations and even the sets looking like they'd been taken directly from Rebels, was an absolute treat. They've picked good actors to portray the returning Rebels characters, and although there's a certain sense of unease from seeing a stylised animated character portrayed in live action, I think they've done a fine job.

Put it this way, my enthusiasm hasn't been dampened. There's a fairly major character change they've made that I'm unsure on, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and looking forward to seeing how that story is told.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:18 pm

Raid wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:59 pm
Ahsoka

To say I've been excited for this would be an understatement. I loved the Rebels animated show, and as soon as the first trailer revealed it was going to be a continuation of the story from that series (which Filoni has apparently wanted to do for years), I've been almost giddy. And the first episode (I'm leaving the second until Friday) really didn't disappoint. Seeing Lothal rendered in live-action, with all of the locations and even the sets looking like they'd been taken directly from Rebels, was an absolute treat. They've picked good actors to portray the returning Rebels characters, and although there's a certain sense of unease from seeing a stylised animated character portrayed in live action, I think they've done a fine job.

Put it this way, my enthusiasm hasn't been dampened. There's a fairly major character change they've made that I'm unsure on, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and looking forward to seeing how that story is told.
Thoughts on watching it if you don't have that level of knowledge of the SW wider canon, and only a passing awareness of who Ahsoka is? The Guardian was pretty down on it and wondering if it's one for the main fans or if it has broader appeal for casuals?

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:21 pm

I doubt the plot is complicated enough to cause any real confusion. There's a plot mcguffin with a well explained purpose, the returning characters are at least given context, even if you don't know the depths of their relationships. Hera Syndulla was name-checked in Rogue One, her ship the Ghost appears in both that film and Rise of Skywalker, Ahsoka's obviously cropped up a few times now in Mando, but she's a Jedi (also not a Jedi, depends on your point of view) who has lightsabers - she's a fan favourite but she's not complicated. The only major character that I don't think has appeared outside of Rebels at this point is Sabine Wren, and she's gone through some significant changes to the point where I'm learning who she is again. Rebels took place in the period running up to Rogue One, and this takes place several years after the Battle of Endor, meaning she's 50% older now and the first episode refers to some pretty significant changes in her history.

Everything else really is window dressing - Lothal was fantastic to see for me because it's probably the planet that the franchise has spent the most time on after Tatooine, but it's just another pretty Star Wars planet. There are a bunch of returning characters that I recognise but will likely have no bearing on the plot.

Basically you'll get more out of it having watched Rebels (and if it's not obvious, I still recommend that series - it's aimed at a young audience but there's more development of the universe in that than all of the sequel trilogy put together), but at the end of the day it's Star Wars with all of the recognisable trappings that entails.

You may however need to get to know Hera's droid Chopper, for which I present this primer. He's basically R2-D2 with a bad hangover, crossed with Maximilian from The Black Hole. He'd shank BB-8 and then use his body like a beach ball. if he doesn't have a major appearance in Ahsoka I'll riot.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:58 am

I’ve enjoyed the first two episodes (I’ve seen about half of Rebels, so I could gauge quite easily what was going on), but it struck me that for a show called Ahsoka, it’s so far been much more interested in Sabine. Not a bad thing, I just question what the direction and focus of the series is.

Also, the casting is on point, pitch perfect.

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:51 pm

Super irritating to me that her name is Ahsoka - in Japanese, this is ah, so ka! which translates to, 'oh, I get it' :x yet another Star Wars anachronism to color my eyes red.

I'll get on-board with this at some point. For the nonce, my daughter and I are attempting to watch everything in chronological order. However, Episodes I-III are alarmingly poor looking, all these years later, and the dialog is atrocious. My 19yo is looking traumatized now, half-way through Episode II, and I can't blame her. After seeing the first season of "Andor" it's really hard to go back to the story-telling nonsense of most of the other movies. We re-watched "Rogue One" in order to clear our senses, so to speak, and it was enjoyable and heart-wrenching, as always.
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:54 pm

I re-watched Andor a few weeks ago and it's probably better second time around, it's so good!!. Andor and Rogue One have ruined Star Wars for me as pretty much everything else comes up utterly lacking when compared to them. I couldn't get into Mando and Boba Fett hardly needs mentioning on how pish it was so I probably can't see myself watching Ahsoka anytime soon.

I've become an Andor timeline snob.... [-(

(has spoilers for Andor...)
This little bastard breaks your heart, basically a sentient Henry vacuum cleaner with deep emotional trauma.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:31 pm

It's weird, Star Wars was such a massive part of my childhood but all this new content - I can't even be bothered to watch.

I watched the last two of the last trilogy and switched the second off in disgust. Heard about Rise of Skywalker being a danglebag of flesh-orbs so skipped that. Watched Mandalorian and yeah, was OK, but it seems to have drained the last drop of enthusiasm I had for the series and I haven't watched anything newer. Still love the first three but never watch them. Still dream of a proper TIE Fighter/X Wing game but not holding out hope. No interest in any of the recent games. As I say, weird. :-s
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:01 pm

Solitaire wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:51 pm
Super irritating to me that her name is Ahsoka - in Japanese, this is ah, so ka! which translates to, 'oh, I get it' :x yet another Star Wars anachronism to color my eyes red.
She's named after an emperor of the Indian subcontinent from 2300 years ago, and it's a Sanskrit word meaning hopeful (she was first introduced as a bratty padawan learner, which I guess fits). Then again she was a creation of George Lucas, I wouldn't put it past him to have thought that explanation up afterwards, the man did love to steal from Japanese cinema.

I think I can understand being put off by years of successive, bad films (although the prequels enjoyed something of a renaissance a few years back when people learned to switch their brains off - I unashamedly love Revenge of the Sith), but other than Book of Boba Fett which was an enormous misfire, the TV stuff has ranged from decent to fantastic.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:08 pm

Obi Wan was a bit rough.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:02 am

I loved Obi Wan, but couldn’t get along with Andor at all. There’s a decent range of stuff - not everything is for everyone.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:35 am

Animalmother wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:18 am
Detectorists
Thanks for this one, was skimming for things to watch the other night, saw Detectorists and remembered a recommendation on here. Enjoying it :)
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=