Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:14 pm

Yeah, it's getting plaudits from across the board, haven't got round to starting it yet, but shortly hopefully!

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:41 pm

I think I'm going to plough through them as quickly as I can, as my dad's trying to watch at the same time on my account, so I had to rewind from 48 minutes in when I started. It could end in tears if we're not careful. :lol:

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:33 pm

Really enjoying it atm, hope it lasts!
Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:34 pm

That's good to hear, I was cautiously hopeful after seeing the trailers.

Would a Skyrim adaptation be out of the question, get compared too much to GoT's? Something like Dishonored might make a better tv show.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:48 pm

Hatredsheart wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:33 pm
Really enjoying it atm, hope it lasts!
Yep, 3 episodes in now and it’s far better than I’d hoped for. They’ve nailed not just the feel of Fallout but the details too, not to mention the moments of dark comedy. A really fun and faithful adaptation so far!

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:05 pm

Wrathbone wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:08 pm
Just watched episode 1 of Fallout.

I... I think they've done it justice. :o
Finished it last night and can happily say it's great. Pretty much everything from the games makes some sort of an appearance, top marks to whoever did the set design and production. Story and acting are also excellent, it feels like the games were played for inspiration. My only gripe is it wasn't long enough, I really wanted more.
Spoiler
The setup for New Vegas at the end and the brief appearance of Mr House are a hopeful hint of where it's going

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:44 am

It's an absolute belter of a series. Loved it from start to finish.

In other TV viewing, I've watched the first two episodes of Masters of the Air. It's fine, not outstanding and certainly not a patch on Band of Brothers, but then what is? I like the attention to details in the flying scenes.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:54 am

Wrathbone wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:44 am
certainly not a patch on Band of Brothers, but then what is?
I haven't tried MotA yet, but I ran out of steam halfway through The Pacific, and in all honesty I don't hold BoB in especially high regard either. I mean I recognise that it's an excellent series, but there's just something about the presentation that doesn't click with me. I absolutely cannot remember any character names, and in BoB I couldn't even recognise people easily (I get it, they're all in uniform most of the time so they don't exactly stand out), but it means I find it difficult to really absorb the character stories. BoB did faire better as I'm far more interested in the European theatre from a historical perspective; I know bugger all about the Pacific theatre, to the point where I thought it was largely an air campaign, which clearly wasn't the case.

I still want to give Masters of the Air a try, as the air war is the closest I get to an area of expertise for WW2, but I suspect I'll have the same reaction.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:17 am

I can still remember most of the names of the people from BoB and what they looked like and that came out in 2001. It helped that I've watched it a few times and many of the actors went on to be very well known faces on TV afterwards. Tom Hardy, Michael Fassbender and Simon Pegg had small parts and were relatively unknown at the time. It also set the tone for pretty much every war based game that came after.

The Pacific is an odd one, the battles are still completely unmatched for how visceral they felt but the bits in-between were kind of dull. It's still up there as one of the best made TV shows in terms of production. One episode could be balls out carnage followed by one that's almost yawn inducing. Also first time seeing Rami Malek and Jon Bernthal in anything.

MotA is just a bit flat in all areas. It's not made by HBO and you can tell by the pretty poor cgi in some of the flying sequences. They also utterly cheaped out on D Day with a remarkably lazy excuse
Spoiler
the character we're following in that episode slept through it from exhaustion
The bits in the bombers are great but they're are very few and far between. None of the cast are particularly likeable or memorable. I've yet to finish the last 2 episodes and I'm in no hurry to either.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:33 pm

I finished watching The Three Body Problem last night. It was pretty good for the most part, the premise is a fun one that I was constantly expecting them to subvert as a twist at some point, but that thankfully didn't materialise. There are a handful of things that I think you have to suspend your disbelief for - there's one plot-critical technology that the scientists just pull out of their backsides in what can't be any more than 6 to 8 weeks after The Event, despite all of the complexities we've been taught by decades of sci-fi discussions on the subject. But the cast and production values are excellent, and I'm very much looking forward to the season 2 that Netflix will inevitably cancel because the series hasn't been watched twice by every single human being alive within two weeks of launch.

And now I've started on Fallout. I don't think I can add anything more than what's already been said, but I'm extremely impressed by how much they've made it look like Fallout 4. I was convinced they were going to put a few key pieces in the trailer and cheap out on the rest, but no, they've done an amazing job. Are the Power-Armour suits physical props in this? I've been fooled before, but they definitely don't look like CGI to me.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:14 pm

Raid wrote: ↑
Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:33 pm
Are the Power-Armour suits physical props in this? I've been fooled before, but they definitely don't look like CGI to me.
Physical apparently - https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lif ... r-BB1lbTVk

Also - https://x.com/falloutonprime/status/178 ... qYnaxJcJKA

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:10 pm

I assumed they were mostly CGI with static models people could get in and out off, that's pretty cool.

Another excellent show previously mentioned, Shogun is coming to the end of its run next week. Top quality throughout and again just not enough episodes. I assume there will be a 2nd season.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:24 pm

I'll be stunned if there isn't, it's been consistently excellent.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:47 pm

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:23 pm

I meant Shogun mate, I posted the fallout season 2 news in the post before animal's :)