I Just Watched (Films)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Re: I Just Watched (Films)

Post by Medicine Man » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:37 pm

Just back from Teen Titans Go The Movies with the wee man. It's wasn't bad even though my knowledge of the show is basically limited to hearing it on in the background whilst I'm busy about the house. I even mustered a chortle on several occasions (where would we be without good old fart jokes). It doesn't out stay it's welcome either, at 88 mins it's the perfect length for a kids movie imo. Just like a big episode of the show really. The wee man was happy therefor I was happy so there you go.

If you've got kids and get dragged along to it fear not, it's all right. :)

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:47 am

Clown
A dad finds and old clown outfit and wears it to his sons birthday party but then cant take it off. It sounds incredibly bad but it's surprisingly good for what it is. Good effects, decent acting, good simple premise and its short and trim. You could almost rework it slightly and it could be a decent prequel to It. Its on Netflix and if your stuck and like a bit of horror its worth a watch.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Jez

Post by Jez » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:16 pm

Can't watch rom-coms god knows the missus has tried to get me with them over the years. They have their place in the world but only in a similar way as things like wasps and jellyfish.
19-10-2003
12072 :-({|=

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:43 pm

Christopher Robin
Went in as cynical as can be but really enjoyed it. I feel like they shouldn’t have wrote him as such a cartoonish bullheaded dicknugget for the first act but other than that it’s really lovely, funny, warm, beautiful and fun. It’s not the Paddington it clearly wants to be but it’s a valiant attempt. Eeyore steals the show as always, far and away the best character in the pooverse.

It is a bit jarring seeing them rendered hyper realistically at first right enough.

Oh and by the by, 100% not a kids film. This is a film for adults who grew up with Pooh. I think a lot of it would be lost on kids and certainly the ones in our showing seemed bored.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:02 pm

Jez wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:16 pm
Can't watch rom-coms god knows the missus has tried to get me with them over the years. They have their place in the world but only in a similar way as things like wasps and jellyfish.

With you there mate. In fact, you can throw almost every American comedy ever made into that mix, they are all so fucking formulaic.

Introduce characters, have funnies, set out story. Everything goes to shit, he/she looks like losing guy/girl/family/job/whatever. Due to sudden inspiration, usually vomit-inducing in its sickliness, everything turns out well in the end.

:-&
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Tichinde

Post by Tichinde » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:29 pm

Skyscraper
So first up, I'm ok with this film.
It's Dwayne, doing his thing as he does, in an action film, like he does.
It is mindless and the set pieces are so very predictable. But is not without it's charm.
For what it is, I enjoyed it.

What it is of course, is Die Hard. Honestly, take Die Hard and rather than rebooting it, turn it round your own way. And it works. Probably because it's the Rock.
Remember the scene by scene thing they did for the Matrix and Ghost in the Shell?? You could very easily do the same thing here.
It's stunted by some terrible dialogue and complete "no way in hell" moments but it's still a fun enough modern action film.
"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:57 pm

The Autopsy of Jane Doe

Maybe it was the start of the Lovecraft book club that put me in the mood for something macabre, but watched this last night. And it's really good! Not recommended for the squeamish mainly as there are quite a few gruesome autopsy shots, but if you happily sit through something like Bones you'd have no issue with this either.

Was a pleasant surprise how genuinely creepy it was, and how at one memorable point it managed to be scarier with just the ringing of a bell than any CGI gorefest. Maybe got a bit silly towards the end, but one of those where you think about little touches that explain something that wasn't overtly explained during the film.

Gibby

Post by Gibby » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:10 pm

Glad you enjoyed it. I thought it was excellent as well. A very pleasant surprise! Plus, Brian Cox :D

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:06 am

Spiderman Homecoming

I really enjoy the Marvel Cinematic Universe films and this was yet another fun and highly entertaining episode. I also much preferred it to any of the pre-MCU Spiderman films.
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:51 am

Gibby wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:10 pm
Glad you enjoyed it. I thought it was excellent as well. A very pleasant surprise! Plus, Brian Cox :D
I knew it had entered my brain somehow :lol:

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:16 pm

We watched it a while back, cracking little film.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

eny

Post by eny » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:20 pm

We went to an Odeon Screen Unseen last night, and watched American Animals. Very good "docu-drama" about 4 college students who decide to rob a local college library of its very rare Audubon books worth millions, and the resultant consequences. That's as much as I will say about it as it is worth finding out for yourself.

Very good. 8.5/10
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:20 pm

Deadpool 2

Very funny. I would say it even tops the first film. The self referential breaking the fourth wall is what makes it so compelling. I usually avoid Marvel movies but this one was excellent fun.

7/10
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Jez

Post by Jez » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:51 am

Same not much into the marvel gubbins. But I did like deadpool. Will watch the second at some point.
19-10-2003
12072 :-({|=

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:41 pm

I tend to watch all the Marvel stuff but I’m completely cynical when it comes to most of them except Deadpool and Guardians. Both are great, Deadpool is best.

American Animals
Also caught this at Screen Unseen and thought it was really good. It balances the truth and entertainment perfectly. It’s funny, interesting and has a lot of heart. One of my films of the year.

If I could give the librarian one piece of advice though.... if your name is Billy Jean by all means go by BJ.... but not when your surname is Gouch.

Happytime Murders
While not amazing it was way better than I was expecting! Easily passed the 6 laugh test a few times over. It’s crude, a lot of it’s obvious and it could have been much better but as a Henson fan I got a kick out of it. Stay for the credits, it shows how they filmed the scenes and I really appreciated that.

Selfie From Hell
If you look at 13 selfies on the dark web a demon kills you. It’s not worth half of it’s 63 minute runtime.

The Spy Who Dumped Me
Anything vaguely amusing is in the trailer, the rest is pretty dull. It has some ok action sequences and isn’t offensively bad but it’s offensively bland.