I Just Watched (Films)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Mantis
Landlord

Re: I Just Watched (Films)

Post by Mantis » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:41 pm

Hereditary
Psychological horror, sort of in a similar vein to VVitch. No real jump scares, just lots of weird inexplicable stuff happening and really shrill dissonant strings that continue to swell in volume until your ears hurt.

It was alright, I liked the ideas behind it with the family dealing with grief whilst suffering from mental health issues; but the execution is far from perfect. A lot of the time I didn't feel especially engrossed at all and it was just nonsensical comedy rather than provoking feelings of discomfort. I prefer slow burning movies, but I feel like a lot of these horrors that try to eschew typical jump scare cheapness only fall into other writing clichés.

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:00 pm

For me Hereditary is a collection of fantastic scenes but a poor movie.

Blackkklansman
One if Spike Lees best. Funny endearing and soul destroying. A couple of bits were a tad on the nose and heavy handed, like Duke starting an America first chant but on the whole it’s excellent.

I need to look up the true story because the wrap up is too neat to be true.... I think....
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:15 am

The Nun
The worst of the Wan-iverse. It’s just boring. They wander around as evil nuns jump out and hug them and inexplicably let them go at which point they walk around some more like it never happened.

The only interesting thing about it is just how much Vera Farmigas sister looks and acts like her down to eye and hand movements.

Stormbringer
Rad Dad

Post by Stormbringer » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:29 am

Alan wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:15 am
They wander around as evil nuns jump out and hug them and inexplicably let them go at which point they walk around some more like it never happened.
Best elevator pitch ever.
Between tedium and fright
Such is the song of the nether world
The hissing of rats
And the jarring chants of angels

Alan

Post by Alan » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:02 pm

;)

Puppet Master - The Littlest Reich
Now I know PM films may tend towards poor but I have a lot of love for those little guys and a high tolerance for their super low budget badness.

That said, Littlest Reich is the worst film I’ve ever seen.

Rossell

Post by Rossell » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:01 am

Watched shaun of the dead at an open air cinema in the middle of a field last night. Always good fun with the exception of it being bloody freezing at the end. Still a damn good film, and also notable for having some paid extras as zombies walk around periodically.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:35 pm

Deep End
This is an odd film about sexual discovery when innocence is surrounded in smut. Filmed on the back end of the 60s it is pretty gritty. Interesting ending

7/10

Tale Of Tales
I really liked this. It's a bit long but the mix of fantasy and fables is a lot of fun. The story is about 3 neighborhood kingdoms each with the royal families having problems about relationships. The stories have no obvious underline meaning but the conclusions to 2 of the stories is brilliant

7/10
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:34 pm

Ghostbusters - 2016

By the half hour mark, I was about ready to turn this off. After a very promising opening scene, it devolved into an utterly humourless slog introducing characters with minimal charisma. At this point we decided to get some G&Ts, and had a bit of faffing when our freezer door wouldn't close, and came back to the scene in which Kevin is introduced. Kevin, the Janine character in this reimagining, is completely stupid, but he's charming in a way that the other main cast members aren't. He's better written, and better acted. He is, in fact, the best thing about the film. If anything his introduction raised my mood enough to watch the rest of the film.

It's not an awful film, really, it's just not very good. I'm glad that it didn't just retread all of the things the original was famous for (slightly ruined by the post-credits scene in which Zuul is mentioned), it did at least have its own identity, but it's so unnecessary a film that adds nothing to the original. The original isn't a laugh-a-minute comedy - it doesn't feel like it was trying to make the viewer laugh most of the time, but the new one feels like it's trying to do that and it flops massively.

Pew-Pew

Post by Pew-Pew » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:54 pm

Get Out

Pretty good satire/horror film. I think it was a bit let down by the pay-off at the end though, which was just a bit predictable and not as 'clever'.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:57 am

The Cabin in the Woods

Nice concept, well executed, but I didn't believe the characters would do what they did at the end. Not as amazing as people have told me it is, though horror isn't my thing at all and it was enjoyable.

7/10

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:02 am

Ant Man and the Wasp
After infinity war I felt like I was done with MCU but Deadpool and this made me realise that it’s when MCU does “serious business” it’s crap because they can’t do threat or weight no matter how hard they try.

On the other hand they do dumb fun really well! Yeah Wasp could have easily taken out every single bad guy in 5mins if she just stayed small and flew around kicking ass but you can forgive that for the fun dumb spectacle of all the size shifting.

I went because it was the only thing on at the convenient time we hadn’t seen, reluctantly, ended up having quite a fun time!

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:32 pm

Upgrade

So I finally got to see this in the one cinema that was showing it. It's pretty good but not as great as some of the reviews are making it out to be. Very well made, great acting from the main guy (not Tom Hardy) and some brutal kills done with practical effects. Just a bit of a weak story and some limp bad guys. Some very creative use of camera angles and lighting raise it above the average mid buget film. Some nice Deus Ex style music as well.

7/10 for the obvious fun they had with it and the originality of it all.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:15 pm

Raid wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:34 pm
Ghostbusters - 2016

By the half hour mark, I was about ready to turn this off. After a very promising opening scene, it devolved into an utterly humourless slog introducing characters with minimal charisma. At this point we decided to get some G&Ts, and had a bit of faffing when our freezer door wouldn't close, and came back to the scene in which Kevin is introduced. Kevin, the Janine character in this reimagining, is completely stupid, but he's charming in a way that the other main cast members aren't. He's better written, and better acted. He is, in fact, the best thing about the film. If anything his introduction raised my mood enough to watch the rest of the film.

It's not an awful film, really, it's just not very good. I'm glad that it didn't just retread all of the things the original was famous for (slightly ruined by the post-credits scene in which Zuul is mentioned), it did at least have its own identity, but it's so unnecessary a film that adds nothing to the original. The original isn't a laugh-a-minute comedy - it doesn't feel like it was trying to make the viewer laugh most of the time, but the new one feels like it's trying to do that and it flops massively.
I was pleasantly surprised by this new version. It's not a patch on the first two films, but I didn't think it was that bad and actually made me laugh in a couple of places. I actually watched Ghostbusters 2 the other week and it's still good fun.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:22 pm

I thought the new Ghostbusters was a bag of shite, although I agree Thor had a couple of funny moments. Ignoring comparison to the original Ghostbusters (which isn't a fair fight), I just didn't find it funny or engaging at all. The constant attempts at comedy all fell flat or actively annoyed me.

I think part of the problem is that a lot of it appears to be improv comedy, and the key to good improv in a film is good editing because 90% of improv is crap. Even the greats like Bill Murray come out with improv crap, so when you're making a film like that you only keep the very best stuff. Ghostbusters 2016 feels like they kept every last line of dialogue anybody came out with.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:40 pm

Agreed, thought it was execrable. I remember they gave Ozzy Osbourne one line that made me chuckle, that was about it.