I Just Watched (Films)

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Alan

Re: I Just Watched (Films)

Post by Alan » Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:05 pm

Finally seen something in the cinema worthy of the silver screen. Hellraiser 1&2 double bill. Magic!

Also Asteroid City
It’s a Wes Anderson ass Wes Anderson film that’s for sure. Great visuals, great style but I don’t think the structure came together for me. That cast though, “speed dial 40 of the biggest names in Hollywood please, I’ll find something for them all to do.”
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:49 pm

Renfield

Nic Cage plays Dracula and it's as deranged as you might expect. What more could anybody want?

10/10

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:09 pm

Renfield is a laugh alright, shame they didn't do more with the insect powers though.

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves
Finally got around to watching this and I thoroughly enjoyed it, great fun. The film doesn't take itself remotely seriously which really works, if it had tried to it would have been shit.The graveyard scene in particular was comedy gold, like something out of Monty Python. Add to that the dragon and Holga visiting her ex, it's just peppered with funny scenes. Chris Pine should be in more stuff.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:35 pm

Wrath Of Man
Shite. The only positive thing I can think to say is it made me want to watch Shoot Em Up again to beautifully cleanse the palate and get rid of the bad taste of this. It’s obvious, the acting bad and it’s unforgivably dull. I don’t like Richie movies in general but at least the others have a bit of style.
Last edited by Alan on Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:05 pm

Equalizer 1
A very good, fun, quite silly but satisfying revenge romp.

Equalizer 2
Kind of crap. Too much of an attempt to be a twisty thriller it lost all the charm of the first and became quite generic. The first 20-30mins were alright before the main plot kicked in.

Going to see 3 later in the week.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:02 am

Also just watched 1 and 2 last night. Although that's not how the film works if definitely should have been about righting lots of wrongs in the world rather than revenge.
I thought the idea of him driving an Uber or Lyft and listening out for red flags was great.
-- To be completed at some point --

ManBearSquid

Post by ManBearSquid » Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:04 am

First one was a nice surprise, the second was a mostly predictable turd. I agree there were some cool ideas.

I'm just returning from 2 weeks in Japan so I've watched numerous movies on long flights, many of which I wouldn't have watched otherwise.

Life

Not shite. Apart from the ending.

Trust

Nice Cage and Elijah Wood. Not shite.

Baby Driver

Enjoyed first half, then it was daft shite.

Bad Boys For Life

Shite.

Robocop

The latest one. Total shite.

Ghostbusters After Life

Enjoyable enough. Not quite shite.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:22 pm

After reading those reviews Mark Kermode decided to pack it in and find a new job :lol:

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:35 pm

Mark Kamode perhaps.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:54 pm

Skid Mark Kamode even...

ManBearSquid

Post by ManBearSquid » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:17 am

Animalmother wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:22 pm
After reading those reviews Mark Kermode decided to pack it in and find a new job :lol:
Haha aye, I'm next in line for his job.

I wrote those verbose reviews while having a shit in an airport before my third and final flight. I was tired and took influence from my surroundings...

Also, I notice that autocorrect changed Nic Cage to "Nice Cage" and I shall not be changing it. :D

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:19 am

Logan Lucky
Redneck heist movie (Oceans 7/11 as they joke in the movie..). It's perfectly fine, if you've seen a Stephen Soderbergh film before you'll know what your in for. Daniel Craig as a blonde haired, mildly unhinged hick is pretty funny. Deadpan Adam Driver is the best Adam Driver. Enjoyable if you just let it roll and ignore the obvious potholes.
Spoiler
It has the usual Soderbergh ending of where everything was preplanned and shown in flashbacks

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:10 pm

Equalizer 3
Much better than 2, quite worse than 1. The first 15mins are great then I think Denzel fancied a paid holiday to a picturesque Italian town because the rest was so so with the climax being not so climactic but in a way that was quite refreshing considering his skills. Its way more violent than the first 2 with some surprising gore, at least at the beginning sequence.

Spoiler:
Spoiler
After the final kill when the news reports "he died of an apparent overdose" after the huge bodycount and clear torture/ligature marks on the guy that had also been hit by a car! :lol:

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:29 am

Animalmother wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:54 pm
Skid Mark Kamode even...
Mark Commode?
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:36 am

Evil Dead Rise

Didn't deviate much from the formula of the first two with one significant exception, the humour was missing which made it much less overall. They did replicate the flying eyeball scene from Evil Dead 2 which, while it was a funny moment, has been done, so yeah. Bruce Campbell shared directing duties with Sam Raimi, but Evil Dead films (by which I mean 1 & 2, everything that followed was wank) without Bruce Campbell are like a cup of tea where someone forgot the teabag.

Quite guff overall.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=