SKY increased its charges

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Achtung Englander

SKY increased its charges

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:52 pm

My Sky monthly package will go up a tenner from £73 to £83 from April. Broadband being the highest jump by £4.

I am now seriously thinking of cutting the cord. Doing some due diligence. The package includes
- Entertainment TV
- HD + UHD (but this feels like a waste of money as hardly any of their content is UHD. Also the fact SKY charges for HD is a joke)
- Broadband
- Line rental
- Netflix Ultimate

If I were to go on Freeview and sub to Now TV, Netflix and move to Zen Internet it will come to £60. The issue is the BT line rental, I am for dumping it but my partner is old school (especially her mum) and that costs an extra £20 or so - bringing to the £80 I want to move from.

I don't know. I might absorb this cost but if goes up again next year.....I'm done.

Thoughts?

btw - I know we are under inflationary pressures, but I get a feeling there is some pisstake at the moment because EVERYTHING is going up (except my salary!)
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Re: SKY increased its charges

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:14 pm

Just got BT fibre broadband for about £35 a month, which includes line rental. You could comfortably add a few subs Eg Netflix and still cut costs

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:22 pm

having worked in telecoms for the first 15 years of my career I will NEVER use BT. Bunch of Edwins. Zero fucking investment. Been on 35Mbs for an entire decade.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/count ... by-country

Look down on this page. We are at the bottom of the chart, just beating Russia. 5th worst broadband from 60 countries.

Yeah - BT can go fuck themselves.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:39 pm

I've never had an issue in the 7 or so years I've been with BT, but admittedly that's in a couple of new-build houses which were built with fibre-to-the-home, so it's all brand new equipment.

I did just got a letter telling me my BT price is going up. It's six quid so it's hardly ruinous even with my current lack of income, but that's 14% which does make it feel worse.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:23 pm

6 x 12 = £72

Opportunity cost. With an extra £100 here, a £100 there - it all ads up and before you know it, it will hit an extra grand, to get the same services as you did last year. The council tax will probably be 10% higher, garden refuse collection went up over 10%, Gas/leccy is now 2.5x higher and food is about 20% higher.

Something is going to give. It means going out less, buying less. Multiply my decision by millions = recession. The Bank of England will have achieved lower inflation simply due to the fact people have no money left to spend.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:26 pm

I signed up to Sky broadband in November on an 18 month contract. As of next month, they’re increasing my bill by £3 a month. Am I missing something or are they completely ignoring what the word ‘contract’ means?

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:57 pm

Small print. They can do mid term increases capped by a %.

But as you know no one reads contracts

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:36 pm

Yeah, I looked into my BT contract to see how they justify it:
20. Changes to the charges

We may change the charges if:

-we change a service, service features, loaned equipment or the terms and conditions of the agreement as listed in clauses 18(i) to 18(xii);
-the cost of providing a service or service features increases (for example, the businesses we buy from increase their prices);
-the cost of running our business increases;
-we reorganise the way we run our business; or
-there's a change in a law, code of practice, regulation, guidance or responsibility that applies to us (for example, if there's a VAT increase).
"The cost of running our business increases" is presumably how mine's done, but that could be literally anything. Price of chocolate biccies for our office elevenses goes up? Fuck you customers, you're paying for it.

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:06 pm

I might email Sky and tell them that if they don’t keep my bill at the advertised price then I’ll make sure to cost their support team far more than £3 of their time each and every month.

eny

Post by eny » Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:20 pm

They do an RPI rise every year at about this time, look at your correspondence it should say you can cancel your contract within a month of the notification if you do not agree with the increase. Just ring them and ask for a cancellation...they will put you in touch with their team and you can negotiate a better deal.

I cannot fault BT as they have kept me on my 70Mbps line for £20 due to my current circumstances. They rely on people not doing anything about the rises, just get onto them and cancel...they will want to keep you.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn