The Apprentice 2018

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Rusty

Re: The Apprentice 2018

Post by Rusty » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:45 pm

Wrathbone wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:14 am
I'd like to see an episode where they give each team £100 and they can do whatever they want with it, and whichever team comes back with the most money at the end of the day wins. No rules at all. They could head down to Ladbrooks if they wanted.
I'm sure they did something like this many, many seasons ago. Back when it was actually an apprentice thing rather than a business partner.
I think Lard (:) )Sugar used his life story as the reason for the task. I started with a tenner and made a hundred quid the first day. "That's entrepreneurism".
-- To be completed at some point --

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:08 pm

I would have thought that would be an obvious choice for a task, but I suspect that it's maybe not as easy to film, edit or judge as the more "scripted" tasks that we get every year. It's much easier to draw comparisons when both teams are doing the same thing, and it's therefore much easier to edit to create a particular narrative by directly comparing two teams.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:40 pm

what I find most disturbing is how so called clever people come up with seriously dreadful ideas
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:30 am

Sly Boots wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:06 am
You're Fired was quite revealing. Did anyone else see it?

Kurran basically admitted he'd been arsing about and knew he didn't have a hope of winning it. Then when asked what his business plan was, he said he didn't have one ("I had a plan, but it wasn't a business"). Sounds to me like he just wanted the exposure to try and launch an acting or celebrity career, which is where he said his interest was all along.

I guess he was put on the show purely for entertainment reasons.
It does somewhat call into question they whole process though - I had always surmised that they looked at the candidates in terms of their experience and the viability of their business plan...

Kurran was a fucking tool though, and thoroughly dislikeable. I am sure today's cult of celebrity will welcome him with open arms :roll:
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Wrathbone
Local

Post by Wrathbone » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:31 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:40 pm
what I find most disturbing is how so called clever people come up with seriously dreadful ideas

Wizard Of Odd

Post by Wizard Of Odd » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:44 pm

Did anyone else think Kurran had a severe lack of a sense of humour on You're Fired? He was so po-faced every time they ripped the piss out of him.

This series, more than any other, seems to be highlighting to me just how unrealistic the whole premise of the show is. I mean, a project manager wouldn't just assign a team to produce, for example, a cabin crew uniform, and have no input whatsoever and just hope for the best. It really has just become an entertainment show now. It is one that I still enjoy hugely, but it's just got nothing to do with business whatsoever.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:41 am

Slight shame to see Kayode go... he was probably one of the stronger candidates in the early rounds, but it feels like he's been too far outside his comfort zone in recent weeks and has struggled to adapt. That task was there to be won for their team though, the others were appalling. Being too stingy in the garden centre when buying for their corporate client is what cost them, and it was the PM was who responsible for that.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:22 pm

Yeah, he's a likeable guy - but came across as being a bit limited. I wouldn't want to give him 250k to run a business.

Although... that's probably true of most of them. :lol:

I was sat there laughing as they ran around buying a few half-dead plants for that large rooftop area. "That'll be £2000 please!"

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:30 pm

I think Tom made the biggest mistakes this week and I was surprised he didn't go for them, but I think it's been clear for a while that Kayode is out of his depth. He just didn't seem to grasp that the £130 sale he was boasting about throughout the boardroom was actually an £80 loss.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:34 am

Only watched it last night. I'm quite impressed with Tom's demeanour. He seems like someone who's calm under pressure.
-- To be completed at some point --

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:20 am

Yeah, that calm demeanour made me pick him as one of the candidates likely to make the final during the first couple of episodes.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:36 am

Rusty wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:34 am
Only watched it last night. I'm quite impressed with Tom's demeanour. He seems like someone who's calm under pressure.
yeah....but for someone whose core business is garden management that was a complete shambles. He maybe cool under pressure but if he cannot win in a task that, out of all of them, closely resembles what he does in his professional life, would you give this chap the prize ?

As I said earlier I have never seen so many wilful candidates than this year. Last week episode was especially bad. Talk about over promising and severely under delivering. The whole thing is set up to fail. I would be more interested in seeing what they could achieve with a proper budget and more importantly, a proper scope of time - like 2 days. No one runs a business like this. It is pretty stupid now. They are making so many mistakes but they do not have time to think. Even I would crack under such time-pressure.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:44 am

That guy who owned the speaker company....needs a slap across the face for being pretentious

He is the sort of person if you met at a party you would slowly walk away from and make friends with a pot plant as that is a more riveting conversation. Several months ago I took my son to a 4th bday house party for one of his friends (you know Dads here what that is like when 30 weekends in a year get taken up with this shit) and I mentioned to the Dad that I liked his new decor of his kitchen. You know - being nice and not really wanting to talk about anything. He bored me to tears rabbiting on about his house for 1 FUCKING HOUR. There was no escape. Even the Mrs who came to rescue got roped in. Oh how laughed through our tears on the way home.

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:25 pm

I think Daniel's pretty good. Seems to get on with everyone and approaches everything with a positive mindset - could see him getting to the final.

Him and Jackie seem to be the most capable two left in the show I reckon.

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:43 pm

I live across the road from Kelvingrove Art Gallery. I walk my dog round it most days. How the duck did I miss them filming the apprentice there? :lol:
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.