Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Small Screen. Bigger Screen.
Wrathbone

Re: Good TV (aka, the TV series spamthread), the second series

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:42 am

Spoiler
The prosecution's version of events has never made sense. For Steven and Brendan to have murdered Teresa in the way they were convicted for, they would have had to do all of the following:

- Restrained her to a bed such that no restraint marks were left on the bedposts.

- Stabbed her on the bed without leaving any trace of her blood or DNA anywhere in the trailer.

- Cleaned Teresa's car key of any trace of her DNA, then covered it with Steven's blood and chucked it in the otherwise evidence-free trailer.

- Taken her to the garage and shot her without leaving any trace of her blood or DNA in there, except on the bullet (which was cross-contaminated with the forensic expert's blood when examined).

- Left the garage in a dusty state as though it had apparently not been cleaned for a fair while.

- Dismembered and burned her body in the burn pit right outside Steven's trailer, dispersed her bones to three far-apart locations, but curiously left the burn barrel with bones right out there in the open after going to the trouble of forensically scouring any trace of blood or DNA from the trailer and garage.

- Dumped the car nearby with a few twigs to hide it and with blood applied conspicuously around it in a manner inconsistent with natural active bleeding.

- Not taken any action to further hide remaining evidence after Lt Lenk came to speak to Steven on (I think) 2nd Nov. That's several days before the car was found on the Avery property.

There are certainly other things I'm forgetting. The story of how they supposedly murdered her is about as credible as "the dog ate my homework".

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:35 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:42 am
Spoiler
The prosecution's version of events has never made sense. For Steven and Brendan to have murdered Teresa in the way they were convicted for, they would have had to do all of the following:

- Restrained her to a bed such that no restraint marks were left on the bedposts.

- Stabbed her on the bed without leaving any trace of her blood or DNA anywhere in the trailer.

- Cleaned Teresa's car key of any trace of her DNA, then covered it with Steven's blood and chucked it in the otherwise evidence-free trailer.

- Taken her to the garage and shot her without leaving any trace of her blood or DNA in there, except on the bullet (which was cross-contaminated with the forensic expert's blood when examined).

- Left the garage in a dusty state as though it had apparently not been cleaned for a fair while.

- Dismembered and burned her body in the burn pit right outside Steven's trailer, dispersed her bones to three far-apart locations, but curiously left the burn barrel with bones right out there in the open after going to the trouble of forensically scouring any trace of blood or DNA from the trailer and garage.

- Dumped the car nearby with a few twigs to hide it and with blood applied conspicuously around it in a manner inconsistent with natural active bleeding.

- Not taken any action to further hide remaining evidence after Lt Lenk came to speak to Steven on (I think) 2nd Nov. That's several days before the car was found on the Avery property.

There are certainly other things I'm forgetting. The story of how they supposedly murdered her is about as credible as "the dog ate my homework".
I know, it's baffling.

Wrathbone

Post by Wrathbone » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:03 am

Another thing has just occurred to me:
Spoiler
During the afternoon when the murder was meant to have taken place, there were several witnesses, including his brothers, who testified they saw Steven and his burn barrel at various times. The prosecution would have us believe that not one of these witnesses saw or heard Teresa being tortured, murdered, mutilated and cremated right outside the trailer.

Also, I read that earlier this year, one of Brendan's brothers (not Bobby) admitted he'd lied in testimony when he claimed he'd seen a bonfire with flames going 4 or 5 feet high (indicating a very hot fire which would more plausibly burn a body). He also said the prosecution had pressured him into exaggerating the size of the flames, and they were actually much smaller than he stated.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:18 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:03 am
Another thing has just occurred to me:
Spoiler
During the afternoon when the murder was meant to have taken place, there were several witnesses, including his brothers, who testified they saw Steven and his burn barrel at various times. The prosecution would have us believe that not one of these witnesses saw or heard Teresa being tortured, murdered, mutilated and cremated right outside the trailer.

Also, I read that earlier this year, one of Brendan's brothers (not Bobby) admitted he'd lied in testimony when he claimed he'd seen a bonfire with flames going 4 or 5 feet high (indicating a very hot fire which would more plausibly burn a body). He also said the prosecution had pressured him into exaggerating the size of the flames, and they were actually much smaller than he stated.
Spoiler
Wasn't that the neighbour, the guy who owns the quarry? There was a bit in season 2 where Steven's lawyer is riding with him in his car and he admits that the flames he reported seeing weren't as big as he was made to say by the police/prosecution.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:56 am

Wrathbone wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:30 am
This is the article I read:

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/ma ... testimony/
Spoiler
In that case that's two witnesses saying the same thing about the fire (and both being coerced into exaggerating its size).

Interesting he actually saw his brother driving a car the same colour as Theresa's. Bobby Dassey blatantly did it, imo. Can't quite believe he'd let his brother take the rap for it. Is he the same brother that hasn't been to prison to visit Brendan either?

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:39 pm

Show Me A Hero

This is a mini series from HBO. Six parts about the housing crises in a NY state called Yonkers back in the early 90s. Its pretty good, the first 3 episodes were a lot better than the last 3. Its a true story with a tragic ending and it did make me cry, but that is not saying much as I seem to cry at the drop of a hat these days.

6/10
Games playing : Doom / Warlock Of Firetop Mountain

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:06 pm

Sharp Objects is excellent. Reporter returns to her hometown and semi estranged family to cover the murder of two young girls. Amy Adams is great in the lead role and it has some surprisingly well done depictions of several mental illnesses without falling into tired tropes.

One ep to go....
I used to be eVoL but I got better.
I like everything now.

Tichinde

Post by Tichinde » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:31 am

Currently loving Sneaky Pete season 2.
"Religion, shit it" - Stephen Fry

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:39 am

Keep meaning to watch that, enjoyed the first one.

Is Sharp Objects on Netflix Evol? Don't think I've seen that in the recommendations but could well have missed it...

elgaucho

Post by elgaucho » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:58 pm

Achtung Englander wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:39 pm
Show Me A Hero

This is a mini series from HBO. Six parts about the housing crises in a NY state called Yonkers back in the early 90s. Its pretty good, the first 3 episodes were a lot better than the last 3. Its a true story with a tragic ending and it did make me cry, but that is not saying much as I seem to cry at the drop of a hat these days.

6/10
I watched this when it came out. Typically good HBO quality, and very solid. Much like a number of other shows on HBO, it's a paced watch, but very well produced!
Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!