𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 π–‹π–Šπ–†π–— π•Ώπ–π–Š π•½π–Šπ–†π–•π–Šπ–—

Mantis
Landlord

Re: Shadow Of The Tomb Raider

Post by Mantis » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:10 pm

6/10 from Gamespot.

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/shadow ... 0-6416982/

Kind of brutal.

I just wish they'd go back to what made the originals so great and actually make a proper Tomb Raider game.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:21 pm

PCG scored it 84% btw.

I enjoyed the last two games, and I expect I'd enjoy this even if it's just more of the same. But I'll be waiting for a price drop.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:28 pm

Interestingly (I say that mainly as he's been pretty vocal about disliking this portrayal of Lara), John Walker was really enjoying it until it became a total bug-fest about halfway through:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/0 ... er-review/

Sounds like there's a good game in there, but one in serious need of a patch.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Re: Shadow of the Tomb Raider [PC, PS4, XBone] - September 14th

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:06 pm

Sounds similar to the previous two, but with a better balance between combat and exploration which is good as I rather enjoyed the first two games in this reboot.

I've preordered from CDKeys as it's around Β£31 with the code.

Jez

Post by Jez » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:52 pm

"But the plot collapses under the slightest scrutiny"

Why? Why can't the majority of developers do story?

Not a buy for me unless it's a very dry period for games and it's cheaper than dickinsons ubiquitous chips.
19-10-2003
12072 :-({|=

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:35 pm

Because it's hard to incorporate the writer into the development of the game so you end up having the two parts created separately and then smooshed together at the end. Many people say they should just get better writers in, but it's not normally that simple. Also budgets. Money spent on gameplay and graphics is seen as getting you a better return than money spent on story.

Jez

Post by Jez » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:05 pm

I suppose there is that perception in the industry but surely anyone can point to any number of games which have amazing stories from every genre and say "look, this writing shizzle...It works"
19-10-2003

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:18 pm

It's just the way big budget studios develop their games. When you're aiming for millions of sales, the easiest part of the trinity of gameplay, graphics and story to pour less resources into and still rake in the sales is the story aspect. A lot of the time a game will be in development and the levels will be well under construction by the time a writer even starts to try and piece them together with a plot. I doubt there are many studios that give the green light to a game based on a writer coming forward and saying "Hey, I've got this great idea for a story". It'll always be "Hey, what if we made Tomb Raider and set it in the jungle this time".

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:24 pm

You can't advertise the game with a story. You can say it *has* one, but to give away anything significant is to spoil that aspect of the game. That's why I feel many studios don't put too much emphasis on it, because it doesn't sell a game like graphics and level design do.

But I can't believe that the story is written after levels are designed, that's just absurd. Surely there has to be at least a basic outline of the plot as part of the initial project pitch.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:15 pm

I think it varies on a project by project and company by company basis. But I've certainly read of plenty of instances in the past of studios not even hiring writers until part way into a project when basic work on levels and such is already done.

In fact, I'm positive that the original Tomb Raiders were designed in this way to a certain extent. There was a long article about the development of it on Eurogamer a couple of years ago and I'm sure I saw it in there.

Jez

Post by Jez » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:35 pm

I think you CAN advertise a game with a good story. Reviews do that all the time which is what many gamers use to inform their purchases.

In fact I'm a case in point. I positively won't be buying because it's story has been reviewed as being paper thin and wet to boot.
19-10-2003

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:38 am

I rather enjoyed the first Tomb Raider reboot, perhaps if the sequel gets a proper bargain (Β£5) one day I'll have a crack at that one too.

Regarding story, I always found I garnered 95% of enjoyment out of a game through the game's mechanics. The other 5% was noticing if the writing was good or not, so it's always been a bit of an irrelevant debate (for me) as far back as I can remember. But then I've always been about how a game feels, through its gameplay/atmosphere, etc.

Sly Boots
Bar Staff

Post by Sly Boots » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:40 am

Maturin wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:38 am
I rather enjoyed the first Tomb Raider reboot, perhaps if the sequel gets a proper bargain (Β£5) one day I'll have a crack at that one too.

Regarding story, I always found I garnered 95% of enjoyment out of a game through the game's mechanics. The other 5% was noticing if the writing was good or not, so it's always been a bit of an irrelevant debate (for me) as far back as I can remember. But then I've always been about how a game feels, through its gameplay/atmosphere, etc.
You definitely should, the second one improved on all the first's best bits (environment exploration more puzzle tombs to explore), and I'd have no hesitation recommending it to anyone who enjoyed the first reboot.