Battlefield V [PC, PS4, XBone] - V is for Victory

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Jez

Re: Battlefield V [PC, PS4, XBone] - V is for Victory

Post by Jez » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:22 am

Also is it just me or do you guys find the outfitting screen confusing? Annoyingly it's also tucked away in the main menu which you cannot access unless you are out of your current game I think?
19-10-2003
12072 :-({|=

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:25 am

Why are people acting like Grand Operations is a new mode? It was in Battlefield One.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:45 am

Jez wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:22 am
Also is it just me or do you guys find the outfitting screen confusing? Annoyingly it's also tucked away in the main menu which you cannot access unless you are out of your current game I think?
The whole UI is a bit of a mess. It took me a while to find just standard multiplayer without all the guff.

I only played the beta of BF1 so I was just going off the PR stuff and thought Grand Operations was a new mode.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:49 am

It might be that it's different this time round, but I've seen a fair few people in different corners of the net thinking that it's new. It was the only mode I played in BF1, the feeling of pushing through a map on the various stages, chasing down retreating enemies; or desperately holding the last point after having been pushed back through four other territories on defence, is what Battlefield was always meant to be in my eyes. I never liked the constant back and forth of Conquest as much, it never felt like you were playing as a whole team defending a single front line.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:58 am

Is it multiple stages in BF1 or just the one stage?

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:06 am

Each location/operation consists of two different very large maps. A map has four or five areas and the attackers have three attempts to push through all five; an area will typically have two or three points that need to be captured before the map boundaries shift to the next area and the defending team has to retreat. If the attackers run out of tickets then a fresh wave starts from the last area they reached, usually with some sort of battleship, airship or armoured train as reinforcement. Once the attackers capture the final zone on the first map it will bump you to a loading screen for the second map, which is usually a bit easier to defend.

The operation in the Alps was the first thing I tried when I bought BF1 and I was genuinely blown away at how much of a leap forward it felt for the franchise. It was quite the adrenaline rush to charge onwards to the next area with the whole team towards the fort after a fierce fight for the final point; dipping in and out of cover under smoke grenades, whistles blowing to signify the charge. The graphics and sound design really nailed the atmosphere.

Jez

Post by Jez » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:17 am

I believe that the Ops mode in BFV works similarly but with some significant differences in how the operation evolves depending on either teams successes. Looks good but i haven't played it yet personally
19-10-2003

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:26 am

Yeah its different in BFV. It takes around an hour to complete and runs through three days with different objectives and it's all themed so in the beta its the British attempts to land in Norway. If it's a draw after the third day it goes to a fourth day which is sudden death.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:27 am

Doesn't sound too different then barring the addition of specific objectives rather than just capturing points. All of the operations in BF1 are based on specific events that happened during the war too.

I'm still undecided whether to bother with V. I haven't been around to try the beta and I'm not sure I'd be able to put all that much time into it around release either.

Lee

Post by Lee » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:15 pm

Says the gunplay is good but a ton of other issues/nitpicks with it.
Mr Annoyed and Proud of it.

Medicine Man
Bar Staff

Post by Medicine Man » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:04 am

Epic fail? In 2018?!

Jez

Post by Jez » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:53 am

Nah it's not a fail :)

I think DICE have introduced some great stuff here with this. There are some niggles and most will probably be removed come main release. Some will remain I guess and people will adjust.

Without seeing the entire thing as a caveat it feels like a return to the BF3/4 days of playing. Have largely enjoyed playing it aside from some technical stuff that's annoyed me at times.
19-10-2003

BoggyB

Post by BoggyB » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:43 am

I'm sure it'll be better on release, it probably just needs a load more tidying up. The sound being messed up (silent weapons, no ambient effects) had a huge impact on my enjoyment of it given how integral it is to BF games.

Also things like my house sized sturmtiger getting stuck on a car didn't help.

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:30 pm

Battlefield 1 premium is free on all platforms right now and for the next few days.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:45 pm

Frontlines on BF1 is where that game finally made me love it. Utterly brutal and chaotic fighting over a few points resulted in some fantastic gameplay that I've never experienced in previous BF games made it stand out. If they do Stalingrad or Iwo Jima style maps with this in the future I'd be up for that.