Battlefield V [PC, PS4, XBone] - V is for Victory

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Jez

Re: Battlefield V [PC, PS4, XBone] - V is for Victory

Post by Jez » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:50 am

Talking on the Single player. Personally I loved the single player in BF1. Taking select individuals doing different roles and different sides and framing their story and gameplay round such was great. Loads better than many other FPS titles I've played in recent years.

Looks like they are doing something similar here in V
19-10-2003
12072 :-({|=

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:40 pm

One of the single player chapters is called The Last Tiger. I assume you'll be playing as the German's in that which makes a change for a WW2 fps.

Quietman

Post by Quietman » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:32 pm

I enjoy this, despite not being 100% comfortable with the weapons. They need to make the bolt action rifles a bit harder hitting though and maybe open up the cone of fire on the assault riles/SMGs.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:30 pm

This game refers to aeroplanes as "airplanes". 0/10.

After an initial wow from the gorgeous presentation (particularly the sounds of overhead aircraft, which just sound phenomenally good), my first game quickly settled into a loop of getting shot in the head by an unseen enemy 200m away and respawning. I'm not very good at this, sure, but I'm just not sure I have the patience for it anymore.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:36 pm

That was pretty much my experience with Battlefield One as well. It takes a while to get back into the mindset with these games and learn the best routes to take through maps to avoid being sniped from afar.

The Eurogamer write up on the Beta sounds fairly promising, barring the obvious bugs and glitches to fix before release. It sounds like they've tried to slow the game down a bit by making you more reliant on your team for healing and ammo resupplies, not sure how that'll work out given the typical quality of the community in these games; I had so many instances of being totally ignored by other players when I was KO'd right next to them in BF1, it was utterly ridiculous.

It does sound a little like they've lowered the time to kill of all the weapons but haven't quite balanced it properly to reduce accuracy of certain guns over distance. I saw a clip of a guy with an STG 44 totally destroying people, including people with bolt actions, from pretty frustrating looking distances.

Jez

Post by Jez » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:15 pm

Haven't played the beta at all myself. I'm tempted but also want to have the experience fresh on release with the beta bugs ironed out.

Still tempted though but only a little as Divinity is proper gripping me for the last month or so.
19-10-2003

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:30 pm

Had a quick bash of it earlier. It's ok I suppose, something feel's bit off that I can't put my finger on. I also hate the utter lack of ammo you get when you spawn in, I've been stuck with a shitty pistol too many times and pinned down. I jumped into a tank at one point and was then booted out of it for no apparent reason. The controls are a little clunky as well, got stuck on semi-auto and could not change it back no matter what I did.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:17 pm

Also the Allied player models are awful looking, all the cool real life commando and paratrooper uniforms available and this is the best they could manage.

BoggyB

Post by BoggyB » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:53 am

I'm sort of digging this so far. The planes aren't much fun to fly but the shooting is great and I really like the lack of 3D spotting and the limited ammo. I get a bit of a god complex being the one handing out the supplies now.

It does have the usual BF problem though. It's a team game with no teamwork.

Post Scriptum is the better WW2 shooter. Get that.

BoggyB

Post by BoggyB » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:37 am

Actually this ain't for me. : (

Pew-Pew

Post by Pew-Pew » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:19 pm

BoggyB wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:37 am
Actually this ain't for me. : (
How come? Gonna give this a proper try tonight.

Jez

Post by Jez » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:40 pm

I had a couple of hours on it tonight.

It needs work.

On a technical side mostly. It felt very janky and rubber bandy. That could well be down to server issues or some such I can't imagine a lot will have been spent on servers for the beta.

The concept is good though. I definitely felt that this pushes the idea of "squad" more than recent games. I see A LOT of whining about the ammo being scarce...totally wasn't ever a problem for me, there are plenty of opportunities to get ammo both on the map and from players. Not an issue.

As a medic trying to dole out medkits seemed strange...is it limited somehow to just 2? I like the new revive mechanic it feels much less gamey than previous titles. Allowing anyone to revive is a good move also with the caveat that unless you're a medic proper it's slower and less effective at healing.

I played with all the classes tonight and enjoyed them all. Medic is still my own favourite which hasn't changed through all the BF titles I've played.

I think there's a lot to like here they are trying some different things and the gun play is solid and satisfying. They have work to do though technically, and this one NEEDS a stable launch if it's to succeed.
19-10-2003

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:29 am

I also played some over the weekend. I can see why people are complaining about the ammo issue. I only ever ran out once, but the other times I wasn't running out because I was dying. Having medkits and ammo bags restricted to two on the medic and the engineer is bad I think, especially as everyone has less ammo now. As it stands with ammo at the moment the game is punishing you for being good.

I managed to play the second map yesterday and the first time I did it was on the new mode, Grand Operations is it? On that mode the Norway map was a hell of sniper fire and not fun at all. I played it again in normal Conquest mode and snipers were much less prevalent. It looks pretty, but has the same issue that Battlefront did in that a lot of the ground surfaces are very shiny. As for Grand Operations itself that mode is going to be absolute hell solo if you are on the attacking side. It really pushes working as a squad because the enemy can get dug in quite easily and it quickly becomes very hard to dislodge them. It's early days, but I think it could do with a bit of fine tuning as it stands as an attacker you have a very long way to run to get back to the points you have to capture and keep and a lot of the ground is fairly open hence the preponderance of snipers.

I didn't experience any of the server issues you had Jez, just had the one time when I couldn't jump over a small mound of snow due to connection issues.

Overall I think it hews a lot closer to Battlefield 3 and 4 both in terms of the gunplay and the map design. I was not a fan of the small amount of BF1 that I played and I like the small amount of BFV I've played a lot more.

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:14 am

I did go back for a second try, and began thinking that if I knew my way around better I'd be enjoying it more. I too found the city map better than the snow one.

Jez

Post by Jez » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:20 am

Think on release it's 8 maps with more dribbling through early next year and on into the V cycle.

I like both maps myself. Think with the ammo health side of things, the caches are placed predominantly around objectives so I guess it's an attempt at encouraging people to play them with the support and medics main roles being building and reviving and having an ability to provide some limited ammo and meds. Dunno it's how it seems to me right now.
19-10-2003