Valheim

Mouse and Keyboard Warriors
Asherons

Valheim

Post by Asherons » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:47 pm

Just started playing this a few days ago, my brother bought me a copy and I hadn't heard of it.

absolutely a great game, just want to keep playing and playing.

survival game, that has taken a great stride in perfecting mechanics and gameplay. honestly feel like its a more mature version of minecraft. has skill progression, and your character can go from server to server so never lose his gear/progress when playing with other people.

topping some charts on Steam so yall probably hearing about it other places too.

elgaucho

Re: Valheim

Post by elgaucho » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:19 pm

I picked this up yesterday because of the following video.

I've just dabbled a tiny bit in it. Not sure it'll be for me, but it looks like a lot of care and passion has gone into this, so I'm happy to support dev projects of the like.

I'll probably spend some more time on it at the weekend.

Proud PW Member since 15/10/2003
A lurktastic 2678 posts!

Asherons

Post by Asherons » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:29 pm

elgaucho wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:19 pm
I picked this up yesterday because of the following video.

I've just dabbled a tiny bit in it. Not sure it'll be for me, but it looks like a lot of care and passion has gone into this, so I'm happy to support dev projects of the like.

I'll probably spend some more time on it at the weekend.

playing on a server with 5 buddies of mine, we took over an abondned settlment that had a skelton tower nearby, we built up the settlment, and cleared out the tower, I built my first house from scratch. shortly after trolls and greydwarves start raiding basically once or twice an hour. one swing from a troll wipes 1/4 my house off the map, rebuilt a few times until i realized their onslaught would not let up and wouild need more defensive position if we wanted to live here.

we abanoned the settlement and all moved into the tower, built up walls around it and perch frm the 2n/3rd floor to kill anything trying to make its way in.

have a portal system we have built, killed two of the bosses. were having a blast

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:27 pm

Picked it up the other day and have been on a server that we share between about 10 of us. The others are a lot further along than me, but it was fun to drop in and build my little addition to the outskirts of the settlement.

The survival and crafting mechanics are refined enough from others in the genre that I don't feel like everything is a monumental chore. That said, it is still fairly grindy to progress and I usually don't have the inclination to dump endless amounts of hours into games with content gated like this. Really good for fans of the genre but I suspect won't have an enormous amount of longevity for me.

Loving the mood and graphics though. The shaders and lighting more than make up for the low res textures, now that I've built my little cottage by the water I just want to sit on my jetty every day and watch the sun rise and set through the mist rather than go out adventuring. :lol:

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:15 am

Glad to see Coffee Stain studios has another good game. I really enjoy one of their other games, Satisfactory - which I've put on hold for the past several months, thanks to CP2077 and some irl stuff. Since I'm a total loner/loser now and have no one to play games with, I doubt I'll get this, but looks like some good gameplay vids will come from it.
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:41 am

Solitaire wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:15 am
Glad to see Coffee Stain studios has another good game. I really enjoy one of their other games, Satisfactory - which I've put on hold for the past several months, thanks to CP2077 and some irl stuff. Since I'm a total loner/loser now and have no one to play games with, I doubt I'll get this, but looks like some good gameplay vids will come from it.
I am in the same camp sadly, would love to give something like this a go though if any of our wee groups on here has space and inclination.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:02 am

Solitaire wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:15 am
This is just Coffee Stain publishing, they haven't had anything to do with it development wise.

I've been playing this for over a week now and been having a lot of fun. The building is just so addictive and hours just melt away when I'm playing, as well as making the usual houses I have constructed a viaduct and dug a canal in the last few days.

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:30 am

Played for about an hour 50 and refunded. Should have known its not for me. Ive never played a survival game that I havent felt like I was just pissing my life away which I know is ironic because the same could be said of any game but it just feels all the more blatent in this genre. Didnt help that parts of my house kept colapsing as soon as I built them and I couldnt work out why. I built more supports (way more than were at the non-colapsing bits) and they still just *poofed*. They were connected and not glitching into other stuff too so ahunno! Finally respawned into a wall and couldnt move (other than punching my way out I guess) and that was the last straw. Dont really see anything that sets this apart from all the others either but its not my genre, resting shoulder to shoulder with jrpgs in the bowels of my hell.
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Solitaire

Post by Solitaire » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:51 am

Oh, got it, thanks for the clarification, DJ. I was just assuming it was the studio/devs. Makes sense now bc Satisfactory seems like a very small dev team so was wondering how they had time for a wholly different game :)
If Edwin's being an Edwin does he call himself an Edwin?

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:17 am

The dev team for this is only four people I believe. Quite impressive that they've put it all together in two years.

The building isn't immediately obvious, but it's fairly simple when you know what the colours mean. For every item above something connected to the floor the structure is weaker and the colour coding changes progressively to red. You have to make use of crossbeams and support poles to strengthen the higher up sections.

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:39 am

Alan wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:30 am
Dont really see anything that sets this apart from all the others either but its not my genre, resting shoulder to shoulder with jrpgs in the bowels of my hell.
I think it has a couple of things that set it apart, firstly the whole survival mechanics. Most games are much more punishing in terms of making you eat and rest etc. whereas in Valheim you are not going to die if you don't eat, you will fall to a certain HP and then it will stay there. I've never liked any of the other games of this type because the survival mechanics are so harsh but Valheim does away with most of them and it makes the game much more pleasurable for me to play. Secondly the game not being PvP is a big boon for me as I have no desire to play a game where I can lose all my stuff because some high level player ganked me over and over.

If you don't get on with the main thrust of these types of games then there isn't anything here that is massively different but for me it sands down enough of the rough edges to make it something I can enjoy.

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:48 pm

Except Terraria, Terrarias perfect. ;) What are the bosses like? That was the only thing I thought could be interesting and a bit Terrariaish.

Its not that I think its bad (just buggy) its just that if I got into it I'd probably hate myself. If there were a permanant server with some friends or for the forum I could see the appeal. That said if 10 folk are on and the enemies are ten times more difficult but everyone just wants to build their own stuff I imagine that could be annoying? :-k
Mantis wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:17 am
The building isn't immediately obvious, but it's fairly simple when you know what the colours mean. For every item above something connected to the floor the structure is weaker and the colour coding changes progressively to red. You have to make use of crossbeams and support poles to strengthen the higher up sections.
Thats the weird thing, the left side had no supports and was fine, the right side ended up being the bloody goldengate bridge and still colapsed :lol:
A man who could tell more truth and eat fewer pies.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:21 pm

Odd. Can't say why, but I haven't encountered any real bugs yet so I guess you were just building it a bit wonky. :lol:

Having a big 10 person server has definitely kept my interest in it. We go sailing around the map raiding new lands together, or sometimes we just do our own thing and work on exploring solo and building new little outposts. We have a big village where we build our portals to act as a hub and everyone has made their own house in varying spots around the area, plus we have so many forward bases in each biome; it's just a great little collaborative experience.

It's a challenging game, but not overly punishing, and not needing food to survive takes the edge off the mechanics I'm not usually keen on. It strikes a nice balance for me between building, crafting, surviving and semi decent combat gameplay.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:00 am

Neebs Gaming is going to do a series on it which should be a hoot!

DjchunKfunK
Bar Staff

Post by DjchunKfunK » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:29 pm

Alan wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:48 pm
Except Terraria, Terrarias perfect. ;) What are the bosses like? That was the only thing I thought could be interesting and a bit Terrariaish.
The two bosses I have fought have been nice spectacles and the second one proved quite a challenge which is probably because there were eight of us trying to do it. I think the game needs to work on it's scaling for bigger groups as right now it just ups the HP and damage based on the numbers in the vicinity.

As for enemy spawns elsewhere it is dependant on the number of people in the area and the bosses you have beaten. So if you are just building on your own the enemies will be scaled for one person. The more bosses you beat the more of the harder enemies spawn and the more they invade what was usually safe biomes during the night. On our server we have beaten two bosses so we get a lot more Greydwarf Shamans and Brutes spawning now.