Ukraine

Exciting adventures IRL.
Animalmother
Local

Re: Ukraine

Post by Animalmother » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:35 am

I honestly think this is going to kick off in the next few days. A school got shelled in an attempt to get the Ukrainians to react, the US and Russia are kicking out each others diplomats and Putin is personally supervising a ballistic missile test tomorrow I think. Also Putin and Jinping are very cosy at the moment so he probably feels he can get away with it.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:01 pm

This is all very depressing and wholly unnecessary. This reminds of 1983/84 during the height of the cold war. I recall my Dad was convinced nuclear war would break out at any day. It seems we are coming back to those days. Even the German foreign minister stated we now re-entering the cold war.

I do not understand why? It must come down to good old fashioned dictators wanting to make a name for themselves. It is no longer about ideology as both Russia and China are a semi-captialistic economy. It all about personalities now. The cult of Hitler.

Do I think WWIII will break out? A year ago I would have said the chances are slim. Today I would say there is a real possibility. This is fucking stupid. If it does go to shit, the consiliation is that I am almost 50, so I have had a life. I feel sorry for my 8 year old son.
Games playing : Bioshock (Remastered) / Total War Britannia / Dirt 4

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:53 pm

The Olympics has ended

Expect a Russian invasion this week.

eny

Post by eny » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:07 pm

Putin has backed himself into a corner, and it will cost him whatever he chooses now. There are so many eyes on his pathetic actions—his cyber approach is especially being monitored. Every film they put up is under immediate scrutiny from all levels of observers worldwide. Case in point: another pathetic false flag attempt that posited a Ukraine special forces attack on a chlorine storage tank, releasing a COD/Blair witch mashup style video that was laughable, and to add insult to injury, much of the evidence has been drilled down into with EXIF data showing it having being recorded days before the supposed event. Ukraine wants the west, and the rest of the world, to impose sanctions now rather than come out with a list after a reinvasion has started.

Either way, Putin has far more problems now than the original "reasons" for reinvasion. It has been suggested that Europe could do worse than offer full citizenship to any Russian soldiers that choose to defect ...as this is mainly the whim of Putin himself rather than Russians in general.
Everything on the internet is 100% true.

– Abraham Lincoln
˙ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎuıʇ ʎllɐǝɹ uʍop ǝpısdn

Raid
Local

Post by Raid » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:44 pm

eny wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:07 pm
Putin has backed himself into a corner, and it will cost him whatever he chooses now.
Does anything ever actually happen to Putin? He's been in power for what, 20 years now? He locks up or murders his political problems, Russia's too big to fight militarily, and the West seems reluctant to impose sanctions because of our energy problems.

eny

Post by eny » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:20 pm

The way to get to him is through the Oligarchs...His infecting the West's financial structures works both ways....one option is focused on Cyprus, the seat of a lot of their money.

– Abraham Lincoln

eny

Post by eny » Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:09 pm

Another position being suggested is: Why is Putin talking about invasion so much, and not just getting on with it. The idea may be that he is surrounding and trying to intimidate Ukraine into a fall of government so that he can Belarus its arse and install a puppet government...this may well end up with him only engaging in the East of Ukraine, and declaring Luhansk and Donetsk as republics, "legitimising" his military presence into a permanent threat against Ukraine and its desire to join NATO.

– Abraham Lincoln

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:45 am

The constant hysteria from the news and grandstanding by the government is really starting to do my head in. I saw a ridiculous headline the other day where Boris claimed that Putin was planning the biggest armed invasion since WW2. What utter crap from his mouth as usual, he needs to just resign and go away.

There isn't going to be a full blown war. He will continue to put pressure on them with cyber attacks and bullying on the border until he can destabilise the Ukraine government enough that it collapses.

Snowy
Local

Post by Snowy » Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:13 pm

Mantis wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:45 am
The constant hysteria from the news and grandstanding by the government is really starting to do my head in. I saw a ridiculous headline the other day where Boris claimed that Putin was planning the biggest armed invasion since WW2. What utter crap from his mouth as usual, he needs to just resign and go away.
He will have been sat wanking himself into a frenzy with his usual pipe-dream of being the resurrection of Churchill.

The key differences being that Johnson would struggle to inspire himself, let alone anyone else, and that he is utterly spineless.
RCHD wrote:Snowy is my favourite. He's a metal God.
08/10/2003 - 17/08/2018
10501 :-({|=

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:50 pm

https://www.reuters.com/markets/europe/ ... 022-02-21/

They will go in tonight or tomorrow.

Putin has lost all credibility on the world stage. We are now back in the cold war.

Animalmother
Local

Post by Animalmother » Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:46 pm

It's what he grew up in and all he apparently understands, despite the Edwin being one of the richest people on the planet. You have to feel sorry for the Russian people, from the Czars to Lenin to Stalin to bankruptcy to Putin, they've never known anything else.

Mantis
Landlord

Post by Mantis » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:15 pm

Yikes, anyone catch parts of his speech there? A lot of rambling about Lenin recognising Ukraine as an independent state as being a mistake and basically saying that it has no traditions or legitimacy as its own state. He's officially recognised Donetsk and Luhansk too.

This about as close as we're going to get to the very brink of war before he pulls the trigger or some last ditch diplomatic mission succeeds in deescalating things.

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:38 pm

I am now convinced it will be an armed conflict. If I were the UK Govt I would freeze all the assets in the UK of the Russia oligarchs. They can pay for Ukraine with their personal wealth.

Hatredsheart

Post by Hatredsheart » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:41 pm

Formerly Dr@gon-UK, but still the Forum Fossil

𝕯𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕽𝖊𝖆𝖕𝖊𝖗

Achtung Englander

Post by Achtung Englander » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:33 am

Putin has become Brezhnev

...and we thought Trump was bad enough

When the tanks roll into the western Ukraine, Putin is in a whole load of shit. The Russians will easily win the battle, but he will has just opened up Afganistan right on our doorstep. Expect a lot of terriorist bombing in Moscow.

Idiot

On the upside its a perfect opportunity for Nato to test its anti-tank weaponary